Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use ORBI Router as Satellite

matbas-99
Initiate

Use ORBI Router as Satellite

Would it be possible in the future for an Orbi router to be used as a satellite in an orbi network?

How difficult would it be for Netgear to impliment this as a feature similar to AP mode in order to give an orbi router the role of a satellite. As I understand it the only difference between the two is that the satellite has to connect to the router using wps. 

I have an rbk50 and rbs50 with a rbw30 working at the moment but have a spare rbk30 unused.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Use ORBI Router as Satellite

Maybe or its a limiation of the HW and chipset design which only allows for router or AP mode. Extender or Satellite mode takes different chipsets and FW to make that work on it's own. Adding that to the RBR would not work as that would be a HW change and probably not enough memory to handle that. Overall, the RBRs work as routers or APs only. Extenders and satellites are there for users needs. It is what it is. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

RBRs can only be used in router mode or AP mode. No support for Satellite mode. 

Message 2 of 4
matbas-99
Initiate

Thank you FURRYe38 🙂
I think it would be a useful feature for the Orbi setup because it looks like there are others who have similar situations to mine. I guess its upto Netgear to decide if it would be a feature worth adding...
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe or its a limiation of the HW and chipset design which only allows for router or AP mode. Extender or Satellite mode takes different chipsets and FW to make that work on it's own. Adding that to the RBR would not work as that would be a HW change and probably not enough memory to handle that. Overall, the RBRs work as routers or APs only. Extenders and satellites are there for users needs. It is what it is. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7