Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Use Orbi alongside current R6300v2 router

kbdci
Aspirant

Use Orbi alongside current R6300v2 router

I am currently using a Netgear R6300v2 router but cannot reach all parts of my residence without at least 2 extenders. I would like to use the ORBI for wifi and continue to use the R6300 for wired internet. I have a 4gb USB disk connected to the current router and want to continue using it across my network.

Can I set up the 2 routers to work independently? Comcast is my provider and the modem has more than one internet socket.

I haven't seen any info about this in the user manual for either unit. I would like to buy an ORBI but need to know if the configuration will work.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Just following the on screen instructions to set it up as an Access Point.

BTW, you don't have to turn off the Wi-Fi on your R6300.  If you have a particularly large house that even the Orbi cannot cover reliably, then the R6300 can be used to provide additional coverage.  Or you can use the R6300 purely for guest Wi-Fi.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Yes.  Setup the Orbi in Access Point mode and turn off the WiFi radios on your R6300.  The R6300 will handle routing and the Orbi will handle WiFi.  Everyting will be on one network. That's how I use my Orbi and it works fine.

Message 2 of 6
kbdci
Aspirant

Thanks. I see the instructions for setting up an access point in the user manual so I can try that.

Can I still set up an Orbi satellite to reach difficult places in my home? Can I still use the ethernet ports on the Orbi for hard wired connections?

One other question: What is the usb port on the Orbi for? Can I attach a disc; a printer?

Message 3 of 6
st_shaw
Master

@kbdci wrote:

Thanks. I see the instructions for setting up an access point in the user manual so I can try that.

Can I still set up an Orbi satellite to reach difficult places in my home? Can I still use the ethernet ports on the Orbi for hard wired connections?

One other question: What is the usb port on the Orbi for? Can I attach a disc; a printer?

Yes, you can still setup one or more satellites.  Yes, you can still use the ports on the Orbi for wired clients. It all works very well.

The USB port is non functional at the moment.  It's possible it will be enabled in future firmware.

Message 4 of 6
kbdci
Aspirant

Is this setup and information documented anywhere?

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Just following the on screen instructions to set it up as an Access Point.

BTW, you don't have to turn off the Wi-Fi on your R6300.  If you have a particularly large house that even the Orbi cannot cover reliably, then the R6300 can be used to provide additional coverage.  Or you can use the R6300 purely for guest Wi-Fi.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7