Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use Orbi with EX7300 extender

debas
Aspirant

Use Orbi with EX7300 extender

I have a 2000 home with a cambium router provided by my service provider.  It gives me fair to mediocre coverage in the house.  I have another 2000 bldg. about 70' away with a EX7300/AC2200 extender.  This also gives that bldg fair coverage.  I'm considering going to the Orbi 3 pack in the house.  Will the extender in the other bldg be compatable and should I expect it to work any better or worse ? TIA, I'm no expert so please keep it simple 🙂 

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Use Orbi with EX7300 extender

Yes should be fine. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. 

Regarding modem router combo units:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 11
Chuck_M
Mentor

I dont think his router is part of a modem/router combination from what I saw.

@debas   Can you describe the internet equipment as your service enters your home?  Do you have a separate cable modem from the provided Cambium router?  Model numbers would be useful to help us understand.

If you have a separate cable modem, what is the make/model of it?  This is important because it will decide what mode you operate your Orbi constellation in and therefore how it is set up.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

It possible:

https://www.doubleradius.com/Manufacturers/WiFi/cnPilot-R201P.html

I presume we'll know when the poster confirms...

Message 4 of 11
debas
Aspirant

My home and Bldg #2 are both about 2000 sf.  The router (about 2 yrs. old) that the ISP provides is a Cambium  cnPilot R201P.   The coaxial comes into the house and connects directly to this router and this is the only equip. here in the house.  The signal from that router reaches bldg. #2 which is about 70' away and that is where I have the Netgear extender which covers bldg. #2.

Message 5 of 11
debas
Aspirant

Thanks. My home and Bldg #2 are both about 2000 sf. The router (about 2 yrs. old) that the ISP provides is a Cambium cnPilot R201P. The coaxial comes into the house and connects directly to this router and this is the only equip. here in the house. The signal from that router reaches bldg. #2 which is about 70' away and that is where I have the Netgear extender which covers bldg. #2.

Message 6 of 11
debas
Aspirant

Yes, that is what I have now.  My home and Bldg #2 are both about 2000 sf. The router (about 2 yrs. old) that the ISP provides is a Cambium cnPilot R201P. The coaxial comes into the house and connects directly to this router and this is the only equip. here in the house. The signal from that router reaches bldg. #2 which is about 70' away and that is where I have the Netgear extender which covers bldg. #2.

Message 7 of 11
Chuck_M
Mentor

Seems this is an ideal scenario for an RBK50 setup.

Message 8 of 11
Chuck_M
Mentor

Ok so we know what your router is now, what type of cable modem do you have connected upstream to this router?

Router:  https://www.cambiumnetworks.com/products/wifi/cnpilot-r201p/

Do you use the telephone function on this router? (do you have phones connected through it?)

Message 9 of 11
debas
Aspirant

No other equipment.  The coaxel comes from the roof antenna directly into the router.  No phone line involved and no other equipment, only the router (I presume this is what is called a router/modem combo ??)  The extender in the other bldg. picks up the signal from my home router and covers that bldg pretty well.  So I have 2 possible senerios that I'm asking about: 

1.  Place two orbi in my 2000 sf home and keep the existing Netgear extender in the other bldg. 70 ft away, hence the question; is it compatable with picking up a signal from the orbi. and would it be as strong as it currently is comming from my independent router.

2.  Place two orbi in my 2000 sf home and 1 orbi in the other 2000 sf bldg that is  70 ft away

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI about modem router como units:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@debas wrote:

Yes, that is what I have now.  My home and Bldg #2 are both about 2000 sf. The router (about 2 yrs. old) that the ISP provides is a Cambium cnPilot R201P. The coaxial comes into the house and connects directly to this router and this is the only equip. here in the house. The signal from that router reaches bldg. #2 which is about 70' away and that is where I have the Netgear extender which covers bldg. #2.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7