Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use RBR20 as access point on existing Orbi network (RBR40 is router)

cpking
Aspirant

Use RBR20 as access point on existing Orbi network (RBR40 is router)

I had an orbi mesh network established with an RBR20 router/RBS20 satellite. Also have wired connections to two linksys routers in ap mode (wired) and Asus router in ap mode (wireless). 

I upgraded the router to an RBR40, but would like to use the original RBR20 as an access point (wired). I can't seem to figure out how to access the RBR20 to tell it to be an access point. I tried a DHCP reservation on the RBR40 with the MAC address of the RBR20, but no joy.

Any suggestions?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Use RBR20 as access point on existing Orbi network (RBR40 is router)

Message 2 of 4
cpking
Aspirant

My problem is not the wireless on my modem - I've neve used it. My problem is that my RBR20 WAS the router located at 192.168.1.1; now my RBR40 is at that IP address. I can't access the old router at the address...

I've plugged a cable from a LAN jack on the RBR40 to the internet port of the RBR20 hoping that a new IP for the 20 would automatically be assigned, but I'm getting conflicts and dropping signals. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to disconnect the RBR20 from the system, then use a wired PC and log into the RBR20s web page. Configure the RBR20 for AP Mode there first. I recommend setitng a static IP address of 192.168.1.20 on the RBR20 so you know and can access the 20s web page in AP mode at any time. Or you can let the RBR get an IP address from the RBR40. Then reserve this IP address on the RBR40 for the RBR20 in AP mode. Use this IP address to connect to the RBR20 in AP mode. 

If you choose the static IP addressed RBR20, You'll need to change the RBR40s default IP address pool to 192.168.1.100 thru.200 so that you have room on either side of this pool for static IP address devices. Once you have the RBR set for AP mode, then connected back up to the RBR40. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7