Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using AC300 router/satellite as access point

Sner
Aspirant

Using AC300 router/satellite as access point

I purchased the 3000 (router + 1 satellite) yesterday and it works fine in 6000 sq ft home..  I have it set up as an access point since I want my existing roiuter to handle IP assignment.  Two questions:

1)-since I am not using router functions, is this "overkill" and would i have been better served by just getting a mesh-based AP?

2)-What technology does ORBI use between the router and satellite?  Is it just the dedicated 5GHz channel?

Thanks.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Using AC300 router/satellite as access point

Yes, if the in wall LAN cabling is good and it connects to a good working patch panel and it' to a NON managed switch, you can connect the satellites wired back haul for best performance:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orbi can run in main router mode or AP mode if you want to use it with a different main host router.

When the satellites are connected via wireless, the 3rd 5Ghz radio is used for the wireless back haul. Or they can be connected via LAN cable to the router.

Message 2 of 4
Sner
Aspirant

Thank you, Furry.

Followup question:

I have ethernet ports in all rooms so is there any advantage to connecting the satellite via LAN to the main ORBI router (vs. using the 3rd 5GHz radio)?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, if the in wall LAN cabling is good and it connects to a good working patch panel and it' to a NON managed switch, you can connect the satellites wired back haul for best performance:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7