Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Airplay with Orbi mesh

rrreinig
Tutor

Using Airplay with Orbi mesh

I have an Orbi RBR50 mesh system with one router and two satellites. Everything works correctly except airplay. It fails when trying to connect from my iphone to Apple TV or iphone to my LG smart TV.

When I tap airplay on my iphone, the Apple TV and LG TV both appear in the list of devices on my iphone but when I select Apple TV, the TV screen flickers once and nothing happens. The display on my iphone shows small bars next to the selected device so it appears to believe that it is connected. When I select the LG TV I get several problems that change over time.

I have two Apple TV devices at different places in my house and both act the same.

Here is the setup of my router, Apple TV, and LG TV:

The RBR50 router is in my office and connected to the internet modem. It communicates with the two satellites over the 5GHz backhaul channels.

The first Apple TV and LG TV are hardwired to the ports on the RBS50 satellite-1 (along with a blu-ray player and Tablo TV box)..

The second Apple TV is hardwired to one of the ports on the RBS50 satellite-2. It is the only device connected to this satellite.

My iphone is connected using wifi, along with other iphones, ipads, and laptop computers. Each device connects using wifi to the orbi it is nearest to.

I like this setup because I never get any dropouts when streaming movies, etc. to any device or TV.

Is the fact that I am hardwired to the orbi sattelites causing this problem?

If so, is there a way to get this sertup to work without going full wireless on all devices?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
rrreinig
Tutor

Re: Using Airplay with Orbi mesh

Here are a few other bits of information:

I have updated the firmware on all orbi routers and satellites.

I have updated firmware on my iphone.

I have power cycled the entire system after all updates.

The problem hasen't changed.

Message 2 of 4
rrreinig
Tutor

More information:

I tried disconnecting the hardwired ethernet connection to each of my Apple TVs and running them on the wifi (the same wifi my iphone is connected to).

The problem persists unchanged. So this is not a hardwire problem as I suspected earlier.

I tried using two different iphones. No change to the problem.

This may be an issue for Apple to solve.

Message 3 of 4
Antoine59
Aspirant

Hello,

I have the same problem!

Do you find a solution?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo