Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Ethernet cables to extend wifi

Maxtoby
Follower

Using Ethernet cables to extend wifi

I have on old house with some very thick walls.   Prior to wifi, I laid an ethernet cable from my annex office, which is the main hub for all all internet and phone cables,  to the kitchen (where we had laptops).   Move on a few years and I now have an Orbi  RBK50 Router in my office which is connected by the ethernet cable to the Orbi satallite in the kitchen.    This works, but there are some dead spots, so I plan to install another couple of satalites in the main house.

My question is, do I need to move the main router into the house, or will three satelites work just as well with one being linked the the router via the ethernet cable.   The issue for me is that if I need to put the router in the main part of the house I will need to lay another ethernet cable, which will be difficult.  I guess i'm asking how critcal the router is in creating the mesh wifi, or can satallites do the job just as well without being able to "see" the router.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
DatabaseJase
Luminary

Re: Using Ethernet cables to extend wifi

The Orbi Mesh Network supports Daisy Chaining satellites so long as "Enable Daisy-Chain Topology" is turned on in Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings accessed via the WebUI. I can't be sure but this should be on by default. That means the satelites do not need a strong signal to the router and could instead route via other satelites using wireless backhaul including the satelite you have currently using ethernet backhaul to the router.

There is a chance that these extra satelites might go direct to the router if the signal is strong enough.  There is some middle ground too as I've experienced where a satelite might initially go to the router and then switch to another satelite if the signal is borderline.  I've moved our upstairs Orbi to make the signal to the router weaker which has stabalised this for me and now it always goes via the downstairs satelite.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7