Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Orbi Mesh With AT&T Router

Elmoalso
Initiate

Using Orbi Mesh With AT&T Router

I want to install an Orbi mesh on top of my existing home WiFi that is talking to a single AT&T Router. I also use the special remote location TV WiFi that the AT&T router supports.

My understanding is that the remote location TV WiFi functionality can ONLY be run using the AT&T router and it's own Wireless TV gizmo. For that reason I want to leave my AT&T router in the mix. Netgear "recommends" turning off the WiFi gateway of any existing router. Has anyone here with AT&T used an Orbi mesh system on top of an AT&T router with the WiFi TV functionality?

Thanks in advance 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Using Orbi Mesh With AT&T Router

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Option #3 would be the best solution for that configuration. 

@Elmoalso wrote:

I want to install an Orbi mesh on top of my existing home WiFi that is talking to a single AT&T Router. I also use the special remote location TV WiFi that the AT&T router supports.

My understanding is that the remote location TV WiFi functionality can ONLY be run using the AT&T router and it's own Wireless TV gizmo. For that reason I want to leave my AT&T router in the mix. Netgear "recommends" turning off the WiFi gateway of any existing router. Has anyone here with AT&T used an Orbi mesh system on top of an AT&T router with the WiFi TV functionality?

Thanks in advance 

Message 2 of 4
Elmoalso
Initiate

Thank you for the detailed response Furrye38, however, you must not have understood my post. I imagine you read "ATT router" and stopped there. Or am I misunderstanding your response that using the ATT modem in bridge mode will allow me to leave it's WiFi on?

I'm already understand how to do this after tunring off the existing ATT router WiFi.

I HAVE TO HAVE those radios remain on because I use them for non-wired UVERSE TV signal. ATT says that will ONLY work with their router's WiFi. The TV signal must be piggy-backed on whatever wifi radio signal ATT uses.

My question is "Has anyone successfully used Orbi while keeping the existing router's wifi radios on?"

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

No, if you have to have the ATT wireless going, use Option #3 for the Orbi. 

You'll need to make sure the channels between the ATT router and Orbi system are as far apart on 2.4 and 5Ghz as possible. They can't be near or use same channels. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7