Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using Orbi RBK12 with bundled modem/router?

SethOx
Guide

Using Orbi RBK12 with bundled modem/router?

Hi, I’m in the UK and my internet provider is Post Office Broadband. They provided a bundled modem/router, and there doesn’t seem to be any obvious way to put it into bridge mode (I.e. modem only). Looking at their website, it looks like it might not be possible to do this. Is it necessary to put the modem/router into bridge mode to be able to use the RBK12 with the modem/router? If not, how do I set the RBK12 up with the modem/router to make sure it all works? Thanks!
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

No, as the RBR has a firewall running when in router mode so you can use the DMZ for the RBR running in router mode. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try option #2 first, if that doesn't work, try option#3...

Message 2 of 13
SethOx
Guide

Hi, thanks a lot for your very helpful reply. I phoned the ISP and they "can't" (i.e. won't) help me put the modem into bridge mode, so I guess that option 1 isn't available to me.

Re option 2, I've logged into the admin page for the modem and I can see how to disable the wifi radios, but I can't see how to "configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem".

In the admin page there is a WAN Services section - is this where I can configure the modem in line with option 2? To give more detail, in the clickable WAN services window it says "DMZ disabled" and "DynDNS disabled - 0 Port Forwarding Rules and 0 UPnP Rules". If I click on the window I go through to a more detailed page, that has the following sections: IPv4 Port Forwarding Table, UPnP, DynDNS IPv4 (disabled), and DynDNS IPV6 (disabled). 

Thanks again for your help 

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would look into this feature "DMZ disabled". Find a user manual for yoru model modem online to see if it gives more information or ask you ISP to help out as well. They should be able to help you with this. 

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Or lastly try AP mode on the orbi system...

Message 5 of 13
SethOx
Guide

Thanks for all your help, just one more question - do I need to be more worried about security if I use the DMZ solution?
Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

No, as the RBR has a firewall running when in router mode so you can use the DMZ for the RBR running in router mode. 

Message 7 of 13
SethOx
Guide

Great, thanks!
Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 13
SethOx
Guide

Hi, apologies, I thought I had fully understood everything, but hadn't actually done it in practice. Now that I'm doing it, I realise that I don't know how to find the the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. How do I do this? (I googled this and the top result provides a default IP address for the Orbi router, but it's the same as the IP address for my existing modem, so I can't use it)

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

To find the IP address give to the RBR from the modems router, look at the modems connected clients page for this IP address.

You might do a factory reset on the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard. This should change the IP address on the RBR to something else that doesn't conflict with what the modems is using. The RBR should detect this and change to maybe a 10.0.0.1 address schema...

Message 11 of 13
SethOx
Guide

Thanks a lot, that worked and it’s all working!
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Good to hear. Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7