Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using Orbi Router in Access Point (AP) Mode

Cookie-Monster
Aspirant

Using Orbi Router in Access Point (AP) Mode

I have connected my Orbi Router RBR50 to my existing Plusnet Hub One router with an Ethernet cable, turned off the Plusnet WiFi signal and and set the Orbi router to AP Mode. All great. 

Looking at the list of detected WiFi networks I can see both the Orbi and the Plusnet (even though the Plusnet WiFi signal is definitely turned off). Which network should I use for all my devices - the Orbi network or the Plusnet network or doesn't it matter ??

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Please disable ALL wifi radios on the ISP modem.

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Please disable ALL wifi radios on the ISP modem.

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@Cookie-Monster wrote:

I have connected my Orbi Router RBR50 to my existing Plusnet Hub One router with an Ethernet cable, turned off the Plusnet WiFi signal and and set the Orbi router to AP Mode. All great. 

Looking at the list of detected WiFi networks I can see both the Orbi and the Plusnet (even though the Plusnet WiFi signal is definitely turned off). Which network should I use for all my devices - the Orbi network or the Plusnet network or doesn't it matter ??

1. Orbi is designed to be a "mesh" system, composed of a base ("router" which can be put into Access Point mode) and one or more satellites which connect to the base unit either over a 5G Wi-Fi channel or over Ethernet cable.  Assuming that you have at least one satellite, then you are better off to connect every device to the Orbi Wi-Fi and take advantage of the benefits of the mesh system.
  2. If a Wi-Fi scan still detects the Plusnet Wi-Fi (and you can still connect to it), then it is not turned off.  Keeping the Plusnet Wi-Fi radios on implies that they compete with the Orbi for radio signal strength (just as all of your neighbor's Wi-Fi systems do).  The difference is that rather than being in another building, they are in your own house and probably sitting right next to the Orbi.
  3. There is a condition in which "it doesn't matter."  The Orbi has only three Ethernet ports for local devices.  If you need more than three Ethernet ports and the Plusnet also has spare Ethernet ports, you can avoid purchasing an Ethernet switch by connecting some devices to the Plusnet.  If there are devices that are "happy" connected to the Plusnet Wi-Fi and you can manage to have their radios not compete with each other, there is no urgency in moving (and reconfiguring) them.
  4. When I (personally) install a new Wi-Fi, I give it the exact same name (SSID) as the previous Wi-Fi.  That way, none of my devices need to be reconfigured.  They just connect automatically.  If it turns out there are problems with the new Wi-Fi, then I just swap the old one back in.
  5. Sorry to drag on (and on and on), but you realize that putting the Orbi in AP mode means that you cannot use any of the Orbi router features, like Parental Controls, the Disney Circle system, Orbi firewall, etc.  If you are happy with the Plusnet router functions, then "you're set."
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7