Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Orbi and Nighthawk X8

kench
Follower

Using Orbi and Nighthawk X8

So we've been fighting poor signal to the other side of the house for years now (mother in laws apartment).  We've finally run an ethernet cable through the basement from the wireless router to the back of her desktop.  But that doesn't help with getting wifi on devices and the smart tv in her apartment.

She just bought an Orbi because the Geek Squad told her to.

I looked at setting it up yesterday.

From what I understand, the Orbi will replace the nighthawk router.

My problem is, the Orbi has no extra ethernet ports on the back.  I have 2 wifi security cameras that are wired via ethernet to the extra ports on the back of my netgear nighthawk.

I can't lose those!

What can I do here?

Since an ethernet cable already runs from the router to the other side of the house, into the dead zone, can I plug an extender into the other end of the ethernet cable and get a signal to the dead zone?

Can the Orbi base be plugged into the other end of the ethernet cable from the router?

Please excuse shoddy drawing, lol.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Using Orbi and Nighthawk X8

It sounds like she purchased a system with an RBR20 base unit.  That only has one LAN port.

Although it sounds like you are happy with your X8, if you do want to switch over to Orbi then the appropriate model is probably the RBK50. That would give you 3 ethernet LAN ports in the RBR50 base unit.  You could use the third port (and the ethernet cable already in place) for backhaul between the router and the satellite (though you likely won't need it). 

However, if the apartment is largely separate from the main house, then you don't really need seamless roaming throughout the space. Adding an wired AP device (ether extender or router hardware) in the dead zone will be enough to get good wifi coverage there.

The Orbi can be set up as a aired AP, it doesn't need to replace your Nighthawk.  So you can place the Orbi base in the dead zone, and use it that way.  It might be overkill (meaning that you might not need the Orbi satellites).    If so, she could exchange it for a Nighthawk extender or router.  They all can be deployed as wired APs, using the ethernet cable to connect to the router.  If you go with extender hardware, make sure you get a model that has at least two LAN ports so you can connect up the existing desktop PC.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Using Orbi and Nighthawk X8

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between base router and satellite to begin with depending upon building materials.

@kench wrote:

So we've been fighting poor signal to the other side of the house for years now (mother in laws apartment).  We've finally run an ethernet cable through the basement from the wireless router to the back of her desktop.  But that doesn't help with getting wifi on devices and the smart tv in her apartment.

She just bought an Orbi because the Geek Squad told her to.

I looked at setting it up yesterday.

From what I understand, the Orbi will replace the nighthawk router.

My problem is, the Orbi has no extra ethernet ports on the back.  I have 2 wifi security cameras that are wired via ethernet to the extra ports on the back of my netgear nighthawk.

I can't lose those!

What can I do here?

Since an ethernet cable already runs from the router to the other side of the house, into the dead zone, can I plug an extender into the other end of the ethernet cable and get a signal to the dead zone?

Can the Orbi base be plugged into the other end of the ethernet cable from the router?

Please excuse shoddy drawing, lol.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7