Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using Orbi as AP with managed switch

NikMan
Aspirant

Using Orbi as AP with managed switch

Hi All,

I'd be grateful for any advice! I just bought an Orbi with 2 satellites as my (three) old Netgear PoE WAP's have been playing up recently. My set-up is-

1. Virgin media Superhub 3 in modem mode, connected to - 

2. Netgear Nighthawk R7000p, acting as my router, plugged into -

3. Netgear 48-port managed switch and patch panel.

All of this kit is in the basement - and the wifi doesn't reach the ground floor hence the WAP's on each storey.

I managed to get the Orbi base station set-up as an AP by plugging it directly into the router. However, since I moved it to the ground floor and plugged it into an ethernet port, and patched that to the switch, it won't get an IP address from the Router anymore so no internet. I haven't set-up the satellites yet - I was hoping to do this after getting the AP working on the ground floor.

Please can anyone advise on where I might be going wrong? Are there any special settings I need to use on the Orbi router to get it working with the managed switch?

Thanks in advance!

NikM

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
NikMan
Aspirant

Hi All,

I've managed to get the Orbi working with my switch etc. I don't if I this was entirely necessary but what I did was - 

1. changed Orbi back to router mode

2. Synced both satellites

3. Changed Orbi router back to AP

4. Plugged it into the LAN port and waited a while!

I think the original LAN port I was using was faulty, which clearly caused a lot of my original confusion/problems.

It all seems to be working now, with my Netgear R7000p acting as Router. I have one of the Satellites also connected to the switch via a LAN port as well - which I am assuming will help the stability of my MESH network? I am still trying to understand some of the new terms associated with MESH WiFi (ethernet backhaul/daisy-chaining etc) - when I logged into the Orbi it said my backhaul was good?

However! Just discovered this morning that one of my Sonos boxes can't connect to the Orbi satellite WiFi. I did a quick Google and discovered lots of people have had similar problems. I am going to have a play and try and get it working - if not then I will have to connect the Sonos boxes use a LAN connection.

Thanks for all the help/advice!

NikM

p.s. - I did log into my Netgear Switch, and I think the "IGMP protocols" were already disabled?

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model of the managed switch. Others have said to disable IGMP protocols on the managed switch to get it working with Orbi systems. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1553749/highlight/true#M30673
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Using-Router-Configured-as-Access-Point-Cannot-see-Satellites-...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Ethernet-Backhaul-with-Managed-Switches/m-p/1613897#M3812...
Green Switch: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/switching-requirements-for-ethernet-backhaul/m-p/1653718/highl...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Ready-to-chuck-this-system-through-the-window/m-p/1658470/high...

What FW is currently loaded?

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Daisy Chain needs to be disabled for wired back haul connected satellite(s). 

Message 2 of 12
NikMan
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. It's a Netgear GS724TP.

Thanks,

NikM 

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if disabling IGMP protocols helps. 

Message 4 of 12
st_shaw
Master

I use Orbi in AP mode with managed switches from Ubiquiti.  No issues.

There is no setting in Orbi that I can think of that would prevent this from working (assuming nothing is set incorrectly.)

First, check to make sure things are wired correctly and there are no bad cables.  Plugging a laptop or other device into the port being used for Orbi could help diagnose this.  Then, double check to make sure Orbi is really configured in AP mode.  Also, make sure Orbi's AP mode is configured to get an IP via DHCP and not using an IP hardwired in the Orbi web UI.

Message 5 of 12
NikMan
Aspirant

Thanks, I will double-check the LAN ports and Orbi setting tonight. I will also double check the Netgear switch settings if it still doesn't work.

Thanks,

NikM

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Just disable IGMP procols should be all thats needed...

Message 7 of 12
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

I have a Daisy Chain glitch, which I have been in contact with Netgear about, and it is an issue which they are aware. It is real. However it is not exactly a reverse operation phenomenon. In my setup, Daisy Chain off results in poor backhaul and dropped connections. Though my topology is best suited for star connection, after the last firware update, DC off is a disaster. DC on, however, seems to allow the system to pick the best topology, either star or Daisy Chain whichever works best. It picks a hub and spoke star topology for my configuration. I am unsure if any of this makes a difference if one has only a single satelite, but definitely makes a world of difference with my two satelites.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have problems with Daisy Chain, please make a new post for it and not hijack this thread since the OP was asking about Orbi and managed switches. Daisy Chain is not mentioned in this thread!

@JoeCymru

@Bubbd

Thank you. 

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

@NikMan wrote:

Thanks, I will double-check the LAN ports and Orbi setting tonight. I will also double check the Netgear switch settings if it still doesn't work.

Thanks,

NikM

Message 10 of 12
NikMan
Aspirant

Hi All,

I've managed to get the Orbi working with my switch etc. I don't if I this was entirely necessary but what I did was - 

I think the original LAN port I was using was faulty, which clearly caused a lot of my original confusion/problems.

It all seems to be working now, with my Netgear R7000p acting as Router. I have one of the Satellites also connected to the switch via a LAN port as well - which I am assuming will help the stability of my MESH network? I am still trying to understand some of the new terms associated with MESH WiFi (ethernet backhaul/daisy-chaining etc) - when I logged into the Orbi it said my backhaul was good?

However! Just discovered this morning that one of my Sonos boxes can't connect to the Orbi satellite WiFi. I did a quick Google and discovered lots of people have had similar problems. I am going to have a play and try and get it working - if not then I will have to connect the Sonos boxes use a LAN connection.

NikM

p.s. - I did log into my Netgear Switch, and I think the "IGMP protocols" were already disabled?

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Thanks for letting us know the results.

Yes been lots of problems with Sonos since they can have there own wifi. Wired Sonos seems to present a problem as well. How are the Sonos box connected? Wired or Wireless? Try wired if wireless. Besure to set a IP address reservation for the sonos ON the router. 

@NikMan wrote:

Hi All,

NikM

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7