Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Orbi as an Extender.

bc22889
Aspirant

Using Orbi as an Extender.

Hello!

I purchased the Orbi not too long ago in hopes of using it to extend my connection. I live in an apartment complex and everyone in the complex has Wireless Modems and routers, so needless to say, all 2.4Ghz channels are interfearing with one another. After running a WiFi anylyzer, I realized that my Modem also has a 5Ghz connection, but the signal only gets me about 2 bars in my bedroom, so I did some reasearch online, and I was informed that the Orbi can be used as an Extender (Much like the 6300).

From what I understand, the modem would generate the wireless signal, and the Orbi can capture the signal and re-broadcast it (As all Wireless Extenders do). So I was going to have my Modem in the living room, and Orbi in the hall. Problem is, I cant seem to figure out how to set it up.

With the Netgear 6300, you just activate bridge mode, enter the Modems SSID and Passphrase, and it connects, and you now have it as an Extender. But I dont see any options for that in the Orbi.

I was informed by my ISP and by online forums as well as the site I purchased the Orbi from that it can be used as an Extender, and I would not need any other satellites. 

So my question is, How do I set up the Orbi Router to act as a WiFi Extender so I can broaden my 5Ghz connection?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Using Orbi as an Extender.

Orbi does not extend another AP's wireless signal like a traditional extender.

You can connect the Orbi router to your existing modem with a wire and place Orbi in a more central point in your apartment.  Or, you can place the Orbi router near your existing modem and purchase an Orbi satellite and place the satellite closer to your bedroom.

In either case, you should turn off the WiFi on your existing modem. If your existing modem is a router, then you should also run Orbi in access point mode, or bridge your existing modem so it does no routing.

I don't think Orbi is a great choice for an apartment complex. Orbi uses a lot of channels in 5 GHz and broadcasts a powerful signal, so you will probably be stomping on your neighbors.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Orbi does not extend another AP's wireless signal like a traditional extender.

You can connect the Orbi router to your existing modem with a wire and place Orbi in a more central point in your apartment.  Or, you can place the Orbi router near your existing modem and purchase an Orbi satellite and place the satellite closer to your bedroom.

In either case, you should turn off the WiFi on your existing modem. If your existing modem is a router, then you should also run Orbi in access point mode, or bridge your existing modem so it does no routing.

I don't think Orbi is a great choice for an apartment complex. Orbi uses a lot of channels in 5 GHz and broadcasts a powerful signal, so you will probably be stomping on your neighbors.

Message 2 of 5
bc22889
Aspirant

I see, So it is used just as the router while the satellites are used kind of like "Extenders" Except on a Tri-Band. 

We plan on moving to a 2200 Sqft house in a few months, so I had purchased the Orbi thinking it would work as an Extender until I get moved and then start setting up the system in the hub of the house. 

Yeah, I disabled the WiFi on my modem when I first set up the Orbi (I work as Tech Support for an ISP, so I have basic general knowledge of how the WiFi connections work).

As for my apartment, there are currently 15 2.4Ghz Wireless networks that I can connect to, and 1 other 5Ghz (Channel 32). On a scale of 1 to 10 in quality, Channels 1 - 11 of the 2.4Ghz for my Orbi are ranked at 1 on Interfearance levels and connection ability, with 11 Not even getting 1 star. Thats why I lose connection even 10 feet away from the Orbi. 

I plan on Disabling the 2.4 on my Orbi and just running only off the 5ghz (Channel 48), so that way im not really affecting everyone else. But I guess Ill look into getting a Satellite for my bedroom. 

Thanks agian for the help.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 5
st_shaw
Master

No problem. Orbi should work well in your house.

You cannot completely turn off 2.4 on the latest firmware. You can only reduce power to 25%.  If you want to connect only to 5 GHz, you would need to implement the procedure posted by @khad to create unique SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Message 4 of 5
bc22889
Aspirant

Yes, I noticed that. My Modem used to have the ability to Adjust 2.4 and 5 independently, but now its a no Go as well. As of right now, It seems all of my devices are connected to the 5Ghz automatically. I also bought a longer Cat5e cable and Ran the Orbi to my Hallway by moving my couch and watercooler around and securing it to my wall so my cats wont trip over it while running about. Its working ok now. Getting about 4 out of 5 bars to my bedroom now. 

It still irks me because the entire Apartment is 980Sqft, and my orbi is in the dead center wit my bedroom being exactly 9 feet away from its current location, and its fluctuating between 3 and 4 bars, never getting a full 5. My modem was having the same issue too, So i think its just because of way too much interfearence. It will probally work much better once I move.

I did also purchase 1 Satellite, so I am waiting for it to get here and going to install that in my bedroom.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7