Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Orbi with powerline adapters

dtunink2000
Follower

Using Orbi with powerline adapters

I am looking at buying the ORBI mesh wifi system, but trying to decide if I should go with 3 total units or 2.  I have about 3,500 sqft house, 3 stories to cover, along with some outdoor space.  On the top floor I have an older TV set that does have a LAN connection, but not wifi, so I am trying to decide if it is easier going with the 3 units of ORBI, or if I could use just 2 orbi units, and use the powerline adapter for the upper floor, if possible.  Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 3
st_shaw
Master

Re: Using Orbi with powerline adapters

I've never heard good things about powerline adapters.  If you can get one of the Orbis to work on your top floor, you can just plug the TV into one of the LAN ports on the Orbi.  Whether or not you can do that will depend upon where your Internet service enters the house and where you need to place the Orbi router. If the Internet drop is on the middle floor, you should be fine.

Message 2 of 3
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

Re: Using Orbi with powerline adapters

@st_shaw wrote:

I've never heard good things about powerline adapters. 

I had one from TP-link and I had a love-hate relationship with it. It worked, and would deliver 300MBps reliably, even with VoIP.  Perfect for that one hard to reach office.  BUT....  Several times a day it would stop sending DNS (port 53) and only DNS. Traffic using IP adressing worked fine.  I spent weeks troubleshooting everything including the carrier before finally figuring out what was happening.

Would I use one again?  Yes, if I had a connection where real time reliability was not a requirement.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7