Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using RBR20 ORBI as a satellite

77PALE77
Apprentice

Using RBR20 ORBI as a satellite

Hi everyone,

I have an Orbi RBR20 router connected with a Orbi RBS20 satellite. I wonder if I can use another RBR20 router as a satellite instead of another RBS20.

Thanks a lot

Pale77

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Using RBR20 ORBI as a satellite

Sorry, No.  Even though they often appear to be the exact same hardware, the firmware for Orbi router and satellite are different.  A router can only be a "router", never a satellite.

What you CAN do is attach the router to your Orbi as an "Access Point" (AP), which means:

1. It performs no router functions
  2. It is not part of the Orbi "system".  i.e. it doesn't coordinate anything with the main Orbi network
  3. It is just like buying an Access Point from anybody and hanging it off the Orbi (i.e. probably a lot more expensive than an Access Point from almost any vendor, including Netgear)
  4. If a device connects to this AP, when it moves around the house there is no "hand off" coordination between this AP and the Orbi (but then maybe most devices don't move around much).

All-in-all, most people opt not to do this

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry, No.  Even though they often appear to be the exact same hardware, the firmware for Orbi router and satellite are different.  A router can only be a "router", never a satellite.

What you CAN do is attach the router to your Orbi as an "Access Point" (AP), which means:

1. It performs no router functions
  2. It is not part of the Orbi "system".  i.e. it doesn't coordinate anything with the main Orbi network
  3. It is just like buying an Access Point from anybody and hanging it off the Orbi (i.e. probably a lot more expensive than an Access Point from almost any vendor, including Netgear)
  4. If a device connects to this AP, when it moves around the house there is no "hand off" coordination between this AP and the Orbi (but then maybe most devices don't move around much).

All-in-all, most people opt not to do this

Message 2 of 3
77PALE77
Apprentice

Got it,

thanks a lot for your quick and precise answer!

Pale 77

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7