Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using RBS20 for extended coverage

Huvenster
Aspirant

Using RBS20 for extended coverage

Hello,

I have the relatively old product ORBI RBK23 which includes RBR20 and two RBS20.

My problem right now is the coverage area, because of the house I live in which is mostly made of reinforced concrete so there are issues for coverage, especially outside for security camers.

I am looking to buy a newer ORBI set that will still use at least both RBS20s.

Is there such a possibility?

If so, what is the appropriate product or products?

Also, if so is it possible to use RBR20 as a satellite like RBS20?

Thanks in advance

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Using RBS20 for extended coverage

Ouch. Reinforced concrete is amazing at blocking wifi. 

the RBK20 kit was a solid kit. It maxed out the broadcast power of wifi already. 

So you're not going to get much better penetration from upgrading kits. Even the new Wifi 6 (AX) devices didn't increase broadcast power. 

Sadly, its going to cause you major challenges. You'd went to get something outside the walls the cameras can connect to. Whether thats using ethernet connection, powerline, or moca adapters, you'd want something exterior to the home (and probably more than 1) to get them connected decent. 

the kits that would use the RBS20 satellites? 

kits with these primary routers;

RBR40

RBR50

No, the RBR20 can't be used as a satellite. You could run a wire to it on the exterior and use it in access point mode. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7