Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using RBS50 Sattelite intermittently causes buffering and speed to crawl

liftingbrosef
Aspirant

Using RBS50 Sattelite intermittently causes buffering and speed to crawl

I have an RBR50 router with two RBS50 satellites. For 3-4 months, everything seemed to work great. In the last week (with no changes having been made on my part), one of my satellites has had serious issues. Any devices connected to that sattelite (either wifi or plugged in ethernet) will intermittently get very slow speeeds. Constant video buffering is a huge issue as this satellite powers our living room TV. When I get video buffering, I pull out my phone and it also will go very slow and hang when trying to open up webpages.

I tried turning off the satellite entirely and letting everything go through Wifi either the router or the other satellite in my house. This completely fixes the issue and no buffering issues.

How can I troubleshoot and fix this issue? Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Using RBS50 Sattelite intermittently causes buffering and speed to crawl

Turn OFF all the other RBS and leave the one RBS online. 

Swap RBS postions with another to see if the problem follows.

Factory reset the one RBS and re-sync it to the RBR while the other RBS or turned OFF. Test.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Is Daisy Chain enabled on the RBR? 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

firmware?

Message 3 of 8
liftingbrosef
Aspirant

I took satellite 1 (the one giving me issues) and replaced it with satellite 2.  I left satellite 1 turned off.  

I still had the same issue with satellite 2.  

I am using the latest firmware ( v2.5.1.16)

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 5 of 8
liftingbrosef
Aspirant

What about that link?

Also...I manually updated the firmware to 2.5.1.16 yesterday hoping that would fix my issues.  It did not...same issue as the previous firmware I was on.

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@liftingbrosef wrote:

What about that link?

Also...I manually updated the firmware to 2.5.1.16 yesterday hoping that would fix my issues.  It did not...same issue as the previous firmware I was on.

They're asking you to post your experience with your firmware 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

So a known working satellite in place of the one that is giving problems is now experiencing same problems? 

Does the 1st problem RBS work in place of the original RBS position? 

Seems like some interferences going on at the problem RBS location thats causing the RBS to not work right. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-route

Has a reset on the RBR and RBS been performed as if yet? 

No need to post anywhere else, just post here. 

@liftingbrosef wrote:

I took satellite 1 (the one giving me issues) and replaced it with satellite 2.  I left satellite 1 turned off.  

I still had the same issue with satellite 2.  

I am using the latest firmware ( v2.5.1.16)

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7