Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using Router Configured as Access Point Cannot see Satellites in web browser application

pshoule
Tutor

Using Router Configured as Access Point Cannot see Satellites in web browser application

I am new here but I did search the forum to try and find and answer to this question: 

IThe routers and satellites are all running firmware 2.1.4.16. When the router is configured as an access point and the backhaul is hard wired I can still plug my laptop in the "internet" port of the router and access the features via routerlogin.net. However it cannosee the 2 satellites hence I can't, for example, update the firmware of the satellites from a central location. Is this a known bug or have I failed to configure something here?  Is there a fix?

Can someone here help me?

Thanks

Simon

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Using Router Configured as Access Point Cannot see Satellites in web browser application

You can connect a wired PC to the satllites and log in there and update FW there...

Are the satellites wired or wireless connected to the router? 

Message 2 of 30
pshoule
Tutor

As I have mentionned the backhaul is hardwired meaning that all satellites and the router are plugged in the network via a switch... a netgear switch 😞

So yes I understand, actually I knew, I could update the satellites via a direct connection but my question is: why can't ther Web app see the satellites?

Thanks

Simon
Message 3 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model of the NG switch? 

Does the Routers web page see the satellites if you directly connect them to the router, by passing the switch?

Message 4 of 30
pshoule
Tutor

Thanks FURRYe38,

the switches are Netgear ProSafe JGS516PE. I must say I haven't tried that yet but I sure will tonight and let you know what happenned.

Thanks

Simon

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

That maybe a managed switch from the looks of it. If so, see if you can disable IGMP protocols on the switch. Other users have mentioned that disabling this, helps with Orbi systems.

Message 6 of 30
pshoule
Tutor

Yes, they are managed switches. NG calls them "Smart Managed Plus". They have some basic management capabilities but not all the bells and whistles that come with their "Smart Managed Pro".

In any case, I just checked and it seems that IGMP snooping is enabled by default on those switches and it looks like it can be disabled. I'll give it a try for sure and keep you posted on the progress... or lack thereof! 🙂

Many thanks

Simon

Message 7 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully that should do the trick. Please let us know.

Message 8 of 30
pshoule
Tutor

I sure will.

I have also been reading this tread: Orbi MR 2.1 Update 3/23/18, in wich you participated/contributed quite a lot, thanks. Do you think I should do a factory reset on the router and satellites? My set-up is quite new and I don't mind at this point resetting stuff back to factory. In case you're wondering, this is my set-up: Cable modem, Linksys LRT214 VPN Router, 2 X JGS516PE switches and of copurse the RBK53, ie: RBR50 and 2 X RBS50.

I am still hopeful that I can do what I want to do and that is use the router in AP mode and set up an Ethernet backhaul. We'll soon see 🙂

I have experienced other problems and I am wondering what to do with the following features:

• Enable Explicit Beamforming;

• Enable MU-MIMO Support;

• Enable Fast Roaming;

Last night, I enabled the first two and the web app was showing that the wi-fi radios were off and couldn't turn them back on! Not good. This morning I disabled the Beamforming and presto, radios were back on!!??!

Do you have any insight for me on these features?

Many thanks again

Simon

Message 9 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

Yes, AP mode would seem to best for your configuration...

Enable Explicit Beamforming; Yes This can be left enabled. I have this enabled on mine and my friends RBK50. Possible that application of BF was not done right. Should be enabled, then reboot the satellites and router so it takes effect. Possible that may be not needed for your configuration...

• Enable MU-MIMO Support; This is for client devices that have MIMO support. I don't have any so I don't have this enabled.

• Enable Fast Roaming; Another that is kind of depending upon client devices and how they handle roaming. I don't use this. Something you can enable or disable to see if he's of any benefit for you.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33195-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33196-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed-part...
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33197-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed-part...
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/33180-how-to-fix-wi-fi-roaming

Message 10 of 30
pshoule
Tutor

Hello FURRYe38,

well due to a small, very small, family emergency I did not run all the tests and did all the set-up I wanted last night but I did progress nonetheless. 

I powered down the router and satellites. Then I plugged the router in the managed switch via the router's ethernet port. Powered it back on and performed a factory reset with an approved paper clip 🙂  Once the reset was over, I plugged my laptop in the switch port behind the router and went to orbilogin.com. First surprise: the router ran automatically a set-up program and prompted me with various set-up questions that were pertinent. It even discovered the other router in the network. It told me something about configuring Orbi's router as a second router in the network which I declined. Then asked me about passwords and other general set-up questions. I then went to the advanced tab and checked the AP mode. I then logged out, re-booted and voilà the router, now in AP mode, came up, the wireless networks, guest and main, both were on and stayed on. No problems to report even as of this morning. 

I will perform a factory reset of the 2 satellites, one at the time and add them to the network one at the time. This will have to wait until tonight.

However, I do have one question to ask and it has to do with the ethernet backhaul. If you go to this article, https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... it lists a few ways to wire the backhaul. I am particularly interested in the last picture because this is pretty much the set-up I was thinking I'd use. You'll notice that in all the images the ethernet port of the router is not used. Is this an oversight or is how it should be? In my particular set-up the router is in AP mode and this is where I get confused. Should I plug the router to the managed switch as it is now that is via its ethernet port and then simply plug the satellites in the managed switch or should I leave the router's ethernet port unused and plug it into the managed switch via one of its ports as we do for the satellites? Or maybe the router should be plugged into the managed swich via both its ethernet port and one of its other ports? I know that sounds silly but I am not sure of anything anymore 🙂

I will get back to you with a manfacturer and model number for my cable modem.

One last thing should I change the IGMP setting of the switches before I set-up the satellites? I would like to try it as is first unless you think that I should disable the IGMP feature first. I am thinking that it should work as is but I am interested in your thoughts on that.

Thanks a bunch

Simon

Message 11 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

I would change the IGMP setting on the switch to disable. The go ahead and wire connect the satellites.

The picture is correct, You can connect the switch after the router on one of the routers LAN ports. Then connect the satellites to the switch. You could even connect 1 satellite directly to the router if there is an open LAN port while you still can connect the other satellite to the swtich.

Message 12 of 30
pshoule
Tutor

Thanks. So once I am all set-up the system topology will be as in the last picture, ie the RBR50 in the managed switch via one of its LAN ports and the same for the satellites, ok got it! Makes sense. I can then communicate with the router's web app by connecting my laptop via its ethernet port just like I did before. 

Ok then, I'll update you on the status of my network tomorrow after I have a chance to set it all up! 

Best regards

Simon

Message 13 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep, you can even connect your laptop to the farthest satellite and still access the routers web page.

Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 30
pshoule
Tutor

Good Morning FURRYe38,

well, the network is up and running and seems stable for now. I disabled the IGMP feature on the switches and then powered and added one satellite at the time using the wireless backhaul connection at first. Once it seemed to want to work, I powered down the satellites and plugged them into the switches via their LAN ports and powered them on again one at the time. I did not go back to the web app to check the stats of the satellites as they powered-up and gave me a bright solid blue light. I will check tonight but at least I have a wireless and wired network that is stable. One thing though, the network crashed when I had the router plugged into the switches via one of its LAN port.  The configuration I am currently running is the following: Router in switches via Ethernet port and both satellites plugged into the switches via their respective LAN ports. 

Conclusion: the jury is still out on whether or not the satellites are using the ethernet backhaul and if they have formed the mesh network properly. I'll know once I go to the web app tonight and I'll get you the manufacturer and model of that cable modem.

Stay tuned, there is more to come!

Cheers

Simon

Message 15 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Good New. I presume that disabling IGMP on the switch and the setting up the satellite in the correct manor hopefully will have solved this for you. Should be good now. Let us know how it goes.

Message 16 of 30
pshoule
Tutor

Good Morning FURRYe38,

well, the news is not very good. In fact, it's not good at all.  As you can see from the attached picture, the satellites show up as attached devices, not as satellites. Additionally, the show up as 3 different networks, all bearing the same name for some devices. So, I tried hooking up the router and satellites as in the pictures from that article I cited earlier, ie router to switch via LAN port just as the satellites. Well, the result is not good. No laptop, no phones, no tablets, no streaming music system, nothing can pass the "obtaining IP address" step in the logon to the network process. My laptop could not even open the web app whether plugged into a LAN port of the router or even plugged into the Ethernet port. Windows was telling all the while that I was connected to the network AND had internet access. Frustrating at best. So, right now I have turned off the satellites and I am running only the router, still in AP mode, but plugged into the switch via its Ethernet port. Not ideal but at least I have something to work with.

I did get the manufacturer and model of my IPS modem. It's a Hitron CDA-RES. More here: http://www.hitron-americas.com/product/cda-res/

So, anyone has any idea of what direction to point me into? I sure can use the help!

Thanks

Simon

Message 17 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you see when you take just 1 satellite and directly LAN connect to the back of the router? It should appear on Top in a setellite section above all the other connected devices. Also should see wired status. Also does the satellite appear in the top section if you connect the satellite via wireless with a wireless status?

Message 18 of 30
pshoule
Tutor

Thanks FURRYe38,

I will try and connect 1 satellite directly to the LAN ports of the router and report on the result. My guess is that it will show up fine. I'll try that tonight and report as I go. If you're available we can try different things "live" and see what happens.

When I first installed the satellites one at a time with the wireless backhaul after resetting each to factory default, I could see the satellites properly registered with a wireless link in the top of the web app window in the satellite section of the page. Once I went to the wired backhaul with the router connected to switch via its ethernet port, the satellites appeared as you saw in the picture attached with the previous reply but at least I had a stable wireless connection. Then all hell broke loose when I went to the connection suggested in the article from NG. I must say I am a little lost and I tryedtechnical support but I can't even get the request for assistance to register. Thoroughly frustrating. 

Many thanks

Simon

Message 19 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Only other thing I'm thinking of is that the particular switch maybe still causing some problems. Hoping that after testing 1 satellite directly connected to router will result in a difference.

Any chance you have a different non managed switch handy?

Message 20 of 30
pshoule
Tutor

Well, actually I may have an older NG 4-port switch lying around somewhere. But I don't want to go there. I bought Netgear switches BECAUSE I was going to purchase the ORBI mesh and figured that they'd work together. Anyway, let's wait and see what happens when I try the direct connection. But let's face it, it would not be very good news, now would it? Plus I can't seem to get to anyone from technical support. This is all turning into a nightmare because at 225.00$/switch and well north of 600.00$ for the ORBI mesh, I truly was expecting better.

I wish someone from NG would chip-in this conversation and not have to bother you with all this.

Thanks FURRYe38 and I'll let you know later tonight what happened with the test.

Best Regards

Simon

Message 21 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe you can get one of the forum moderators to chime in...

@DarrenM

@AmitR

Yes lets see what happens with a direct connection...

Message 22 of 30
pshoule
Tutor

I invited Darren to join the conversation but it appears we have no luck as of now 😞 Maybe later?

Simon

Message 23 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Who knows.

Let us know how it goes with the direct connection...

Message 24 of 30
pshoule
Tutor

Hello FURRYe38

the attached picture speaks for itself 😞 Of course the satellite appears correctly when plugged in directly.  DarrenM has offered to hook me up with L2 support. Thanks for the name. I'll send him the requested info and see.  I'll update the situation as it goes. We'll know more soon!

Best regards

Simon

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7