Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using SSID name and P/w

TRBN
Tutor

Using SSID name and P/w

Hi

Is it better to use the SSID Name and password that comes with the units or it is better that we cahnge both of them?

For secutiry point of view which one is more safer and recommended

Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: Using SSID name and P/w

There are many different factors. The default SSID and security key is randomly preset, it can't be re-calculated based on the MAC address for example (happened to another other vendor some years ago).

The advantage of keeping the SSID as printed on the base station label is very handy for adding new devices in the future - no need for notes, PostIt, or notes stored at a safe place, ... The disadvantage is obvious: Physical access does unveil the security key - if you have a certain public having the ability to see and touch the router ...

There is however another good reason to change the default: If you have many wireless devices and IoT you don't want to reconfigure all these devices, so putting up the old router wireless SSID and security key does make some sense, too.

Under the line: It's more about commodity than about security.

Message 2 of 5
TRBN
Tutor

HI,  If it is more secured to use the p/w that has come with the unit, which i guess is unique for each of the units, then do you suggest one should use what has come along with the product rather then looking for other options

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Changing of the PW would also be a bit more secure as you can set your own unique PW. Can be simple or complex as well. Also chaning of the SSID would be recommended so that you know what SSID your connecting too. Can be anything and unique as well. 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree that the WiFi SSID and password are perfectly secure as long as no one you fear has physical access to the device.  The bigger issue (for me) is changing device setups.  I have had the same WiFi name and password for the past three routers.  When I get a new one, I simply give it the same credentials as the one before and "everything connects".  (So far, I have not had to change the MAC address to match the old router, although Netgear provides a way to do that as well.)

When I scan my neighborhood, it's pretty obvious that over half of my neighbors have left their WiFi with the name it came with.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7