Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using Xfinity xFi for DHCP - Disable Orbi DHCP - Devices connected to Orbi not obtaining IP add

LRCasey13
Aspirant

Using Xfinity xFi for DHCP - Disable Orbi DHCP - Devices connected to Orbi not obtaining IP address

I'm looking to continuing to leverage my Xfinity xFi modem for DHCP as I have a wired network throughout the house directly connected to the xFi modem.  This worked fine with my previous Netgear Nighthawk wireless router.  However, when I disable DHCP on the Orbi, any device connected to the Orbi is not obtaining an IP address from the xFi and when the devices connect to the Orbi it says the devices do not have internet access.

Shouldn't I just be able to turn off "Use Router as DHCP Server" in the Advanced LAN setup for this to work or do I need to change another setting on the Orbi as well?  I'm guessing I need to also go into the Advanced setting and change from Rotuer Mode to AP mode?  Is that correct?

Thank you for any help.

-Larry

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Using Xfinity xFi for DHCP - Disable Orbi DHCP - Devices connected to Orbi not obtaining IP add

@LRCasey13 wrote:

Shouldn't I just be able to turn off "Use Router as DHCP Server" in the Advanced LAN setup for this to work or do I need to change another setting on the Orbi as well?  I'm guessing I need to also go into the Advanced setting and change from Rotuer Mode to AP mode?  Is that correct?

Yes, you are correct.  To get DHCP from an external source, the Orbi has to be in Access Point (AP) mode, not router mode.

DHCP requests are broadcast packets (IP address 255.255.255.255) that go to every device on the LAN. Some users prefer a different DHCP server and set it up on the Orbi LAN. (Pi-Hole, for example)  When the Orbi is in router mode, those broadcasts do not go out the WAN port and will never make it to the Xfinity.

When the Orbi is in AP mode, broadcast packets go out the WAN port to the Xfinity, which will provide DHCP.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@LRCasey13 wrote:

Yes, you are correct.  To get DHCP from an external source, the Orbi has to be in Access Point (AP) mode, not router mode.

DHCP requests are broadcast packets (IP address 255.255.255.255) that go to every device on the LAN. Some users prefer a different DHCP server and set it up on the Orbi LAN. (Pi-Hole, for example)  When the Orbi is in router mode, those broadcasts do not go out the WAN port and will never make it to the Xfinity.

When the Orbi is in AP mode, broadcast packets go out the WAN port to the Xfinity, which will provide DHCP.

Message 2 of 4
LRCasey13
Aspirant

Thank you.  The first time I had missed the step about changing from router to AP.  Thank you for confirming.  It all seems to be working properly now.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7