Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using an Orbi with Nighthawk R7500

baker_pharmd
Aspirant

Using an Orbi with Nighthawk R7500

I have DSL internet fed to my home via fiber optics.  I have the wall connection feeding into my Nighthawk R7500 and the Orbi connected to the Nighthawk via ethernet.  I am not getting the speeds that my cable company states I should.  I should get 250/250, but I seem to be about 95/70.  I have the wifi turned off on the Nighthawk.  I am not sure that I have the settings correct.  Should I get a modem instead of using the Nighthawk?

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router, RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Using an Orbi with Nighthawk R7500

You should ether configure the Orbi RBR for AP mode if you use the R7500 has your main host router or completely remove the R7500 from the mix and configure the RBR for router mode. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You should ether configure the Orbi RBR for AP mode if you use the R7500 has your main host router or completely remove the R7500 from the mix and configure the RBR for router mode. 

Message 2 of 9
baker_pharmd
Aspirant

Would I need to get a modem then? Before the Orbi, the nighthawk worked great plugged into the wall. I got the Orbi because I wanted to eliminate the dead zones in my home.
Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orbi will replace what the R7500 is doing. Won't need a modem....

Message 4 of 9
baker_pharmd
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. I’ll try tonight and update you. Much appreciated!
Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
baker_pharmd
Aspirant

Works with just the Orbi plugged into the wall. Though I don’t understand not having a modem. My speeds are at 94/94. Still not 250/250. I’ll have to have the cable company check on that. Thanks for the help!
Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You have a ethernet switched ISP service probably that doesn't need a modem. 

I would try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch while connected to the wall out let. Walk thru the setup wizard. Don't enable Circle or Armor. Once done, try a speed test with a wired PC. 

Glad it's working with out the other router. 

Enjoy. 

Message 8 of 9

@baker_pharmd wrote:

I have DSL internet fed to my home via fiber optics.

Doesn't make sense, especially in the light of later comments.

DSL technology delivers the Internet by copper wire over the "last mile". The "fibre" bit is in the network before the box that squirts the Internet into that copper cable.

If you get the Internet delivered to a LAN socket, "plugged into the wall", that isn't DSL.

To test the speed out iof the wall, plug a PC into the wall and run a speed test. That will tell you the "raw speed" without any gadgets in the way.

Oh, and any wifi speed tests are all but meaningless. They just measure the speed that your wifi devices can handle.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7