Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using r7000 as expressVPN and Orbi as home router

billysboutin
Aspirant

Using r7000 as expressVPN and Orbi as home router

I plan to add expressVPN to my network. I currently use the Orbi RBR20 router and 2 satellies for my home network. I have a R7000 WiFi router that was replaced by the Orbi router and satellites. I have turned off the wifi on the R7000 and set it to AP mode to have access to its ReadySHARE ability. I learned that the R7000 supports expressVPN but Orbi does not. Can I place the R7000 between my fios network and the orbi router and still maintain the configuration such as IP address reservation I set up on the Orbi router?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router, RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@billysboutin wrote:

I plan to add expressVPN to my network. I currently use the Orbi RBR20 router and 2 satellies for my home network. I have a R7000 WiFi router that was replaced by the Orbi router and satellites. I have turned off the wifi on the R7000 and set it to AP mode to have access to its ReadySHARE ability. I learned that the R7000 supports expressVPN but Orbi does not. Can I place the R7000 between my fios network and the orbi router and still maintain the configuration such as IP address reservation I set up on the Orbi router?

Not a chance.  Loading Express VPN on a Netgear R7000 requires replacing the Netgear firmware with a customized version of DD-WRT.

This means:

1. It will be in "router" mode, not access point mode.
  2. Being "ahead" of the Orbi, it will not accept any IP assignments from the Orbi.
    The Orbi can remain in router mode and assign IP's to devices connected to the Orbi, BUT
    * That destroys a good part of the Express VPN capability
    * That creates the dreaded "Double NAT" condition, which affects all sorts of things:
    https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 
  3. I have no idea whether DD-WRT supports something equivalent to Readyshare
    or whether devices behind the Orbi could even connect to whatever DD-WRT supplies
    This link seems to indicate that there are cabilities, but not "Readyshare":
    https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_storage 

What you CAN do is

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@billysboutin wrote:

Not a chance.  Loading Express VPN on a Netgear R7000 requires replacing the Netgear firmware with a customized version of DD-WRT.

This means:

1. It will be in "router" mode, not access point mode.
  2. Being "ahead" of the Orbi, it will not accept any IP assignments from the Orbi.
    The Orbi can remain in router mode and assign IP's to devices connected to the Orbi, BUT
    * That destroys a good part of the Express VPN capability
    * That creates the dreaded "Double NAT" condition, which affects all sorts of things:
    https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 
  3. I have no idea whether DD-WRT supports something equivalent to Readyshare
    or whether devices behind the Orbi could even connect to whatever DD-WRT supplies
    This link seems to indicate that there are cabilities, but not "Readyshare":
    https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_storage 

What you CAN do is

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7