Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using rbr50 as a access point

Bobcat55
Follower

Using rbr50 as a access point

Can I use the RBR50 and its two satelites as a access point for a CBR750 with one satelite if so how?

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

@Bobcat55 wrote:

Can I use the RBR50 and its two satelites as a access point for a CBR750 with one satelite if so how?

Should work.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here, but the RBR50 and CBR750 are very different devices with their own technology, so you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

and

Orbi with Built-in Cable Modem - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

Check the bits about using the RBR50 in AP mode.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The 50 series is not wirelessly compabile with the 7 series Orbi. You can connect the 50 series in AP Mode behind the 7 series, however the 50 series would have a separate SSID name. 

@Bobcat55 wrote:

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Bobcat55 wrote:

I think the correct answer is, "sorta".

• The RBR50 WAN (yellow) must be connected to the a CBR750 LAN port with an ethernet cable.
    This can be impractical if there is not ethernet wiring in the building.
  • Withing ethernet wiring inside the walls, that forces the RBR50 to be in the same room as the CBR750, so there are two WiFi access points blasting away very close to each other.  The 2.4G WiFi channels can be set not to overlap, but there are very limited choices on 5G WiFi, which means that overlap is almost guaranteed.
  • Likewise, placement of the RBS50 satellites is limited. They are almost certain to overlap with the AX satellites.
  • The RBR50 WiFi network will be "integrated, but not integrated."
    * In AP mode, the CBR750 will handle all IP assignments using DHCP. This is good.
    * but the primary CBR750 router will believe that ALL devices connected to the RBR50 network are
    (a) wired devices that are
    (b) part of the RBR50 somehow.
    It will have no idea that some of them may be connected to the RBR50 network with WiFi.
  • This means that devices will face issues when roaming because the CBR750 network will offer no assistance in switching from one access point to another.
  • It will be tempting to use the same SSID/password for the RBR50 network as for the CBR750, however they will remain two different WiFi networks. ( Imagine, for example, purchasing a diferent brand (Linksys, Google, etc) and giving it the identical SSID/password as the Orbi.)

The ideal use of the RBR50 network would be for devices that do not move, so they will never need to roam between access points.

Please come back to relate how this experiment goes.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7