Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using satellites as a managed switch?

boombox
Aspirant

Using satellites as a managed switch?

Hi there,

I was wondering if i can use the Orbi RBS50 satellites as a sort of managed switch as well when they are in mesh?

My idea was to have one LAN port output IPTV and the other LAN port internet (both using a different VLAN).

Is this possible? Or can only the router unit do this?

Thank you.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Using satellites as a managed switch?

RBS only work as a wireless repeater and the LAN ports are unmanaged only. You can connect Orbi to other switches, even managed however all IGMP protocols on a managed switch needs to be disabled. 

@boombox wrote:

Hi there,

I was wondering if i can use the Orbi RBS50 satellites as a sort of managed switch as well when they are in mesh?

My idea was to have one LAN port output IPTV and the other LAN port internet (both using a different VLAN).

Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Is this Orbi less than 90 days old?  If so, Netgear provides 90 days of "complimentary support".

You are probably aware that the help screen for VLAN talks only about ethernet ports on the router itself.  It never mentions wireless or satellites.

You might get more specific advice if you identify the IPTV service by name and provide the information that they specify for setting up VLAN's.  (I would even mention IPTV in the title of the post.)

Message 2 of 7
boombox
Aspirant

Thanks!

Actually i'm not aware because i didn't buy them yet. I just wanted to know before buying, so i know if it works in my preferable setup.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Great idea to check things out before spending a lot of time and money!

Since my answer was basically, "I know nothing", you might want to check out some of the posts that include IPTV.  I did a simple Google search "orbi and iptv" and got hits about ATT's IPTV, German IPTV, etc.  I only glanced at them, but some seem to mention connecting things to the satellite.  I also favor a really direct post, "Orbi and IPTV from ???".

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS only work as a wireless repeater and the LAN ports are unmanaged only. You can connect Orbi to other switches, even managed however all IGMP protocols on a managed switch needs to be disabled. 

@boombox wrote:

Hi there,

Thank you.

Message 5 of 7
boombox
Aspirant

Thank you all for your feedback, much appreciated!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7