Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using satellites from another identical model of Orbi RBK14--AC1200

nicholasbc
Aspirant

Using satellites from another identical model of Orbi RBK14--AC1200

If I have 2 identical Orbi systems, each with a router, and 3 satellites, can I use all the 6 satellites with one of the 2 routers?

thanks Nicholas

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Several users have reported having up to six satellites on a single Orbi router.  So, YES.

There appears to be a "trick" to doing this in the sense that the web page for adding a satellite has places for only three.

What people appear to do is temporarily unplug one of the satellites, so it becomes "disconnected."

That creates room for one more.

After it is added, do the same thing to add another, and another.

When all have been added, power them up again and "Voila", you now have six!

(I have not done this myself, having only a single satellite.)

Message 2 of 7
nicholasbc
Aspirant

Thanks so much-I'll give that a try, and report back.

my first steps were to try to get the "shirt tail" relations (satellites) talking to the other router, but the length of time needed for the process of electronic registration is like watching paint dry! It's easy to miss a step when my patience is so challenged.--Nicholas 

Message 3 of 7
nicholasbc
Aspirant

Further efforts to use extra satellites from the 2nd duplicate system failed for me.

The network is working satisfactorily, BUT i now have a non functional "ghost" satellite on my network map.

Has anyone experienced this, and how was the "ghost" exorcised?--Nicholas

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure the RBS FW is the same as what your using on your RBR. Turn OFF all other RBSs and attempt to add the RBS to the RBR while in the same room as the RBR. 

@nicholasbc wrote:

Further efforts to use extra satellites from the 2nd duplicate system failed for me.

The network is working satisfactorily, BUT i now have a non functional "ghost" satellite on my network map.

Has anyone experienced this, and how was the "ghost" exorcised?--Nicholas

Message 5 of 7
nicholasbc
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

I presume the RBR is the router, and the RBS is the satellite, but the FW is an unknown accronym.

When I started doing the setup, I initially tried seting up the router with one of the satellites from the second system, but never got the blue light sync signal. I tried using a pin to press all the resets, and then the sync buttons, but with no success.

I might be able to try and access the router setup, and change some values in its brain, but that might just brick the unit as well.--Nicholas

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

FW = Firmware

Try this:

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

When the satellites are reset, wait about 5 minute. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The IP address of the satellite will be 192.168.1.250. You can look at the network status connection properties to see what the GATEWAY IP address is to verify. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Admin and password is the log in info. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

I had to do this same process for a RBS50 from a different RBK system. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7