Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using smaller amps adapter for Orbi Satellite RBS50

JasonTeh
Aspirant

Using smaller amps adapter for Orbi Satellite RBS50

Hi community of Orbi users,

Appreciate your assistance/advice.

• I recently bought a pre-owner Orbi Satellite RBS-50, but the seller provided me with a non Orbi adapter with the output rating of 12V 1A only.
• Seller said he has been using the 12V/1A (12W) adapter for the Orbi Satellite.
• When I tried to sync the RBS50 satellite with my existing RBR50 router to no success. The sync process keeps ending with magenta color (on its top ring), though at times I do see blue color before ending magenta.
• Tried various positions of the satellite around the house and even next to the router.
• Initially trying the sync using the buttons on the router and satellite, and later using the Orbi app too.
• I understand the original adapter has a rating or 12V/3.5A (42W)

My questions...

1) Is the sync issue due to insufficient power to the satellite?
2) If the seller has been using the smaller adapter, could the 12V/1A power supply is only enough for normal use (he may have sync previously using the original 12V/3.5A adapter) but not enough for doing the sync process?
3) If I would temporary borrow a neighbour's 12V/3.5A adapter (as RBR50/RBS50 are provided by the telco normally here) to do the sync (hope it will be successful), would normal use later suffer connection issue between the satellite and the router due to the lower power supply?
4) Would a higher power supply adapter, say 12V/1.5A, works? Anyone has successful experience doing so, both with the sync and subsequent sustained connection between the satellite and the router?
5) Would buying a common brand (non Netgear/Orbi) adapter with 12V/3.5A output works - to sync and subsequent sustained satellite/router connection?

Many thanks!

Kind regards, Jason
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Using smaller amps adapter for Orbi Satellite RBS50

If you are able to borrow a Netgear power supply as a test, that would be my first step.

I doubt very much if there is any different power requirement for "sync" then for continued operation. WiFi has strict limits on radio strength and Orbi is set to 100% of allowed strength unless the user deliberately reduces it (option under Advanced Settings).

Others have purchased third party power supplies that work. (usually from Amazon)

Message 2 of 4
JasonTeh
Aspirant

I found this Netgear page on using wrong adapter...
https://kb.netgear.com/000028995/Information-about-the-power-adapters-on-NETGEAR-products

It states:
What if I use the wrong power adapter?
Your product could be unsafe to operate.
You could cause serious damage to the product.
Your product could mysteriously reboot, drop connections, or have range and performance problems, etc.
Using your product might violate the law.

Umh....
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

All of that is true.  Terrible things "might" happen.  Good luck finding an original Netgear brand power supply.  I found exactly one (used) on eBay.  Everything else was third party equivalent.  3.5amp at 12v with the correct size plug is what is important.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7