Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using the orbi as a standalone router with fibre optic

Charlie97
Aspirant

Using the orbi as a standalone router with fibre optic

I want to be able to just use the orbi router instead of having a modem along side it as a bridge. how would I set it up to just be standalone when my internet is fibre optics? I've done everything it says in the manual but it's staying magenta. Please help????
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Hydro130
Luminary

Routers and a modems do different things in terms of supplying your internet connection.

There are some devices out there that can do both router and modem functions together in one unit, but they aren't very common (long story).

Orbi is not one of those devices...  The Orbi system is a routing device exclusively - it requires a seperate modem to be connected to it in order to produce your wifi network....  

Internet cable coming into your house -> Modem -> Orbi -> (wifi) -> your various internet toys

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Charlie97

Orbi is not a modem so you will have to always connect it to a modem in order to get internet access.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
Charlie97
Aspirant

But it's a router and the whole purpose I got it was to use it as a standalone
Message 3 of 6
Hydro130
Luminary

Routers and a modems do different things in terms of supplying your internet connection.

There are some devices out there that can do both router and modem functions together in one unit, but they aren't very common (long story).

Orbi is not one of those devices...  The Orbi system is a routing device exclusively - it requires a seperate modem to be connected to it in order to produce your wifi network....  

Internet cable coming into your house -> Modem -> Orbi -> (wifi) -> your various internet toys

Message 4 of 6
Charlie97
Aspirant

Thank you people I get it now
Message 5 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Not so fast...  Most fiber to the home services, including Verizon FiOS, do not require a modem at all, and interface using an RJ45 connection to a router. It's possible the OP does not need a modem. Whether he needs one depends on what Internet provider he uses and what equipment is already installed in his home. If he currently has a box that's only a router, then he might be able to replace it with Orbi.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7