Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Uverse + ASUS RT‑AC5300 + Orbi AC3000. Best setup?

darkleafar
Tutor

Uverse + ASUS RT‑AC5300 + Orbi AC3000. Best setup?

Evening ladies and gents!

I just purchased an Orbi AC3000, and I am very excited to set it up.  I have not though, because I am still trying to figure out the best possibly configuration.  First, allow me to give you some background info.  

I used to live in a 1200 sq ft home up until October of last year.  I was using the ASUS RT‑AC5300 which was absolutely amazing.  I had 300 MBPS Uverse internet, and I was getting constant speedtest.net results of 340 mbps on the 5ghz channel.  However, I bought a 3000 sq ft 2 story home (1970s build, so thick walls and radian barrier insulation) and as soon as I moved in my router went from hero to zero.  Also, in the new home AT&T only offer up to 50 MBPS.  Where I do get wifi, I get it at full speed.  However, my bedroom upstairs struggles to get a signal at all. When I do get a signal, is between 5 and 20 mbps. Not to mention once you get to the other corner of the house.  I was very disappointed because I bought the ASUS RT‑AC5300 thinking that it would serve me for many years, and I really thought a 3000 sq ft home would be no problem..but I was wrong.  I know house structure and room placement and everythign has to do with wifi, but i really hoped the ASUS would cut it...

Anyway, here we are with an Orbi, hoping it will blast internet all the way to my backyard.  

My devices around the house include 5 smartphones, 5 computers, 4 chromecasts, 1 Roku, 1 apple tv gen 4, 1 ps4, 1 wii U, 3 tablets, 2 echo dots, home automation system (AT&T Digital life) that includes 3 door locks, 2 cameras, nest thermostat, 2 smartplugs, 3 smartbulbs; also 2 harmony smart hubs, and about to add 3 ARLO cameras I also just bought.  There are also two smart tvs but they are not connected as often. THere are also other portable devices that are used sporadically.  We stream a lot, often 2 separate streams in 2 different rooms.  Sometimes 3.  We watch a lot of stuff, and we game. 

Here are my questions:

I know that the Orbi has limited QoS funcitionality.  I know the ASUS RT‑AC5300 has a lot of excellent features and that is really good at routing traffic and prioritizing what needs to be prioritized.  I currently have the AT&T Uverse modem/router combo being used as a modem only.  Router features are off, and most things are set to IP Passthrough to my ASUS RT‑AC5300.  To my understanding, this is a form of bridge mode.  Now, questions are

1. Is it best to take the ASUS out of the equation all together?  Or should I keep it for the QoS features and such?
  2. Wouldnt setting up the Orbi in bridge mode to the ASUS, which is already in sort of bridge mode to the AT&T Uverse, affect functionality? Like can you do a triple bridge lol
  3. If I do keep the Asus as for its routing features, would it be best to turn off its wifi completely and only leave the Orbi on?
  4. Or would you guys say Orbi to Uverse modem would be the best bet?
  5. Do you think switching to Comcast 200mbps improve my performance a lot?

Thank you very much for your time.  Looking forward to your reply

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master

The Orbi setup is quite smart.

It will detect the existence of any other routers and set itself up accordingly with a different IP address range to avoid conflict.

Why don't you try and run it with the Asus in place and see how it performs?

Having said this, I am also a Uverse customer and had the same coverage issues (3700 sq ft) as you so installed a secondary router downstairs as well.

After getting Orbi I replaced the secondary router with the orbi router and placed the orbi satellite upstairs in a central location (The AT&T RG was in a closet behind a panel). 

I now have whole house coverage including outside and even when I visit the neighbors!!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Darkleafar 

If you like some of the features on the ASUS then using orbi as a access point would be the best bet. And you could disable the ASUS wifi this will make it so you only see 1 wifi network in your home instead of multiple.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
darkleafar
Tutor

Thank you for the reply.  You don't think it ll cause a problem doing double bridge since im already doing that from uverse to asus?

Message 3 of 7
Streak2
Master

The Orbi setup is quite smart.

It will detect the existence of any other routers and set itself up accordingly with a different IP address range to avoid conflict.

Why don't you try and run it with the Asus in place and see how it performs?

Having said this, I am also a Uverse customer and had the same coverage issues (3700 sq ft) as you so installed a secondary router downstairs as well.

After getting Orbi I replaced the secondary router with the orbi router and placed the orbi satellite upstairs in a central location (The AT&T RG was in a closet behind a panel). 

I now have whole house coverage including outside and even when I visit the neighbors!!

Message 4 of 7
darkleafar
Tutor

Ok so I have been running the setup for about 2 days now, and the WIFI coverage has definitely improved in reach and strength, as well as quality.  However, I am getting more buffering that I used to when using my Chromecast and streaming Funimation and Crunchyroll.   Nothing super major, but it does seem to hang for about 5 seconds once or twice every few episodes.

Now, there are two things that changed since I set up my Orbi:  

1 - I installed 3 ARLO security cameras, and

2 - I turned on Adpative QoS on the Asus router, which apparently was off before.

The two things above have the potential of affecting my streaming quality, so I hoping someone could help me pinpoint why my Orbi setup has decreased my streaming quality?  Is it that the Asus is better after all?  Or one of the things above?

Thanks for your help

Message 5 of 7
darkleafar
Tutor

Anyone?
Message 6 of 7
Streak2
Master

Disable the two things that you changed, one at a time and see if things improve.

I doubt the Arlo will cause any issues, I don't know about the Asus QOS setting.

Also, make sure that the Orbis have the latest firmware, both the router and the satellite.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7