Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

V1.12.0.18 Working really well

timch
Luminary

V1.12.0.18 Working really well

In an attempt to provide some perspective, my system is working really well in a tricky city environment; my Orbi is in AP mode behind a BT Smarthub and everything seems rock solid. I have 35 devices registered including iOS, Nest, Sonos and Chromcast and am getting full bandwidth across all 4 stories of my terraced townhouse with only one satellite. The Wi-fi environment is very cluttered yet the Orbi seems to deal with it with no problems.
So thank you Netgear, for the first time ever I have seamless roaming around the house.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
Hydro130
Luminary

Re: V1.12.0.18 Working really well

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones too!  12.0.18 has been really superb for me - no disconnects on any devices, and it fixed my one big complaint with the previous f/w - that was dropped calls on wifi-calling.  Roaming around the house on wifi calls has been working very well now on 12.0.18  

Orbi is my main routing unit and has ~25 devices spread evenly between the router and sat.  All of my 5Ghz-capable devices latch onto 5G very consistently, and I'm getting my ISP-plan speeds (+20% over-provision) everywhere in my house and well out into my front and back yards.

Message 2 of 3
martyfp
Luminary

Re: V1.12.0.18 Working really well

Great idea - it is useful to add some perspective that there are many people using Orbi without issues.  Quite naturally, people usually only post when they have issues.

Maybe also useful to the many who are struggling with stability issues to understand what configurations are known to work (for some) and maybe even offer a glimmer of hope that one-day they will get things working properly

From my side, I consider my system to be working really well now (I almost returned my system due to stability issues but now very happy since 1.12.0.18)

- Service provider is BT and have 80/20 infinity2 service

- I am us using RBR50 + one RBS50  -  in full router mode, using V1.12.0.18 

- Draytek 130 modem with latest BT firmware

- We have a good variety of devices, iOS and Android,  WIFI based surround sound,  Sonos.   Multiple PCs and laptops all running well.

- We use BT-TV IPTV services which now work well, including 4k multicasting  (using ethernet to RBR50).

- Everything that is static in the house has static IP addresses assigned (including the satellite)

- We have beamforming and mu-mimo enabled. 20/40 coexist disabled.  Manual assignment of WIFI channels 

Everything is very stable - we still get very occasional dropout on iOS (few seconds, only noticeable when streaming video, reconnects automatically)  but these could very easily be related to switching bands or switching between satellite/router.  Otherwise, wifi is rock solid and very pleased with full house coverage & speed.

My only gripes,

- some devices seem to unnecessarily attach to  2.4GHz when 5GHz is perfectly strong enough.  Not a major issue & only impacts my OCD

- QoS features needs to be enabled

- Need USB support for hard drive sharing.

Overall, I am very happy with the Orbi.   Really works well for me.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7