Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: V1.12.0.18 still having disconnect issues

tolive
Guide

V1.12.0.18 still having disconnect issues

Unfortunately, (for me) the latest firmware doesn't resolve the wi-fi disconnection issue.  I updated both router(RBR50) and satellite(RBS50) to V1.12.0.18 from V1.11.0.20, factory reset both, started over with fresh settings to get the RBR50 connect to internet only without touching any setting else.

Using my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy S8+), Wifi Analyzer, and SpeedTest to check around my house, not much difference from the previous firmware, I still got frequent disconnections, at a same position (router in 2nd floor, satellite in 1st floor, cell phone in 1st floor) , about 25ft direct distance from the router upstair, 50ft direct distance from the satellite, with the speed test app, my cell phone (connected to the router) either got almost full ISP speed (100/100), or got "Network Communication Issue" error, you can see from the picture below, the Wi-Fi icon got an exclamation mark next to it, basicaslly no internet connection at all, if waiting for around 20-30 seconds, the Wi-Fi came back to normal and I got almost full ISP speed again.

Also tested on my Apple MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and my Windows desktop, the Wi-Fi disconnection happened on all of them, but the Windows desktop didn't get disconnected that frequently, only 2-3 times last night.

Decided to go back to my ASUS RT-AC68U as my primary Wi-Fi router and use this expensive toy for testing for now, my ASUS RT-AC68U NEVER got any Wi-Fi issue (except for range) in the past 2 years, if it's not for the Wi-Fi range, I almost forgot I have the router...

orbi-disconnection.jpg

Message 1 of 32
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello tolive

Did you try and tell your devices to forget the network and then connect again some old settings could be causing issues.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 32
tolive
Guide

Hi DarrenM,

My test results are based on a new SSID that I never used before, also, as I mentioned, except for getting the router connected to internet and renaming the SSID, I didn't touch any other settings. 

The only difference is that, I connected the RBR50's WAN port to my existing router's LAN port (ASUS RT-AC68U) for testing because I didn't want to break whole house's Wi-Fi connections, I have about 25 connected devices.

Message 3 of 32
HIgurly
Initiate

Having same issue, did you solve your issue yet?

Message 4 of 32
JMU1998
Luminary

With the new Firmware my devices are getting Stockton the 2,4GHz can we please have the option to atleast reduce the 2.4GHz radio strength if not disable like before?

Message 5 of 32
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello tolive 

Since you have it connected to the ASUS did you make sure the orbi unit was set to AP mode so the 2 routers do not have conflicts?

DarrenM

Message 6 of 32
tolive
Guide

Hi DarrenM,

When I first upgraded the Orbi firmware to V1.12.0.18, I connected the RBR50 to my Verizon FiOS directly, didn't use my ASUS router. Only after about 2 hours tests and confirmed that the Orbi still got Internet disconnection issue, I decided to put my ASUS router back, and set the Orbi into AP mode connecting to the ASUS router, I only connected one desktop and my cell phone to the Orbi for testing, all other 20+ devices in my house connect back to the ASUS router.

Last night, I did more tests (set the Orbi in AP mode, no channel conflict with my ASUS router), same issue: the Internet disconnected every several minutes, some times, at a same location doing the speed test, I may get almost full IPS down speed and then got disconnected during the upload test. I've tried different combinations: turn on/off the satellite, turn on/off the implicit beamforming, and set the Orbi back to router mode (connecting to my ASUS router's LAN port)... Always got the Internet disconnection issue.

Two things I found:

1. The locations I got the issue frequently are about 20-30 feet from the Orbi router (connecting to the router RBR50, 5GHz, signal level is between 60-65dBm, the satellite's signal level at the same spot is between 70-75dBm), if I move my cell phone to within 10 feet to the Orbi router, with my at least 100+ speed tests, I never got disconnected (also connecting to the router RBR50, 5GHz, signal level is between 45-55dBm, the satellite's signal level at the same spot is between 75-85dBm).
  2. With previous firmware, when I got disconnected, it would come back to normal by itself; with the V1.12.0.18, when I got disconnected on my cell phone, most of the times, I had to turn off / on the Wifi to get reconnected. 

Message 7 of 32
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello tolive

Our Support is wanting to work with you on these issues if you would like to work with them send me a Pm with your name, email, and phone number and I will have them reach out to you to work on the issue.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 32
drmonkey
Initiate

Yep, I'm actually having worse disconnects now. This is downright ridiculous. And apparently we can't downgrade the firmware to something that actually works because we're forced to auto-update. I really wish I were within my return period as I would get rid of this and go back to my old router.

DarrenM, could I also get in on working with the support team? I've done a factory reset and it did nothing for my disconnects.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 9 of 32
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello drmonkey

yes send me a PM with your contact info.

DarrenM

Message 10 of 32

fyi if you manually downgrade it won't auto upgrade back to a higher version, mine just has the message saying the update is available

Message 11 of 32
chris5000
Tutor

Do you know where I can get the older firmware from. I can not even you my orbi system anymore.

Message 12 of 32
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Chris 

Here is the link to all firmware.

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

DarrenM

Message 13 of 32
Biker1967
Tutor

I am having the same issue with this firmware version.  Additionally,  I am not able to log into the router anymore, even after factory reset.

Raised a ticket @netgear Support. Case# 28811050.

Waiting for a final resolution from Netgear support before returning the router set to the shop.

Message 14 of 32
Peace_105
Aspirant

I recently purchased and installed the Orbi system with one satellite as well (V1.12.0.18 firmware).

I am also suffering from regular disconnect issues similar as in multiple threads here. Quite disappointed considering this is supposed to be a top notch router system.

In my case it is only the devices connected to the satellite unit that gets disconnected at a certain time interval. Haven't timed it but after 30-45 min or so. I have tried various locations with the satellite, closer to or further distant from the main unit etc, but still the same issue. Connected units (laptops cell phones etc) gets disconnected from Internet after a while, e.g., in Windows 10 message is "No Internet available" when checking the Wifi icon. Rebooting the satellite typically solves the issue temporarily until next dissconnect.

Please, anybody with advice, or knowledge of what to do?

Is Netgear seriously working on this issue? Imo it is as mentioned a rather big letdown, and I've been using Netgear products for some 30 years...

Thx

Message 15 of 32
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Peace_105

I have sent you a PM

DarrenM

Message 16 of 32
malapier
Initiate

Does anyone has a solution for this joke?

i've spent a huge amount of money to get those high end devices which never worked from day one.

i've been looking around for every kind of solution yet nothing.

Is there anyone willing to give AN OFFICIAL ANSWER not a "I've sent you a private message" kind of answer. this is being ridiculous.

just tell us that you have absolutely no clue what is going on, I will throw that away right in the middle of my street and ban any netgear products forever. But if you have an actual solution, just let the whole world know!

Message 17 of 32
chris5000
Tutor

I have been having this problem for almost two months and have not heard anything from Netgear.
It worked fine at first but now it's a 400$ paper weight. It's to much money not to have a fix for this. This is your flag ship until it should have flag ship support.
Message 18 of 32
chris5000
Tutor

I have been having this problem for almost two months and have not heard anything from Netgear.
It worked fine at first but now it's a 400$ paper weight. It's to much money not to have a fix for this. This is your flag ship unit it should have flag ship support.
Message 19 of 32
madbrain
Luminary

@esiebert7625 wrote:

fyi if you manually downgrade it won't auto upgrade back to a higher version, mine just has the message saying the update is available

That is simply not correct. After a few days to a week, it will auto-upgrade to the latest again.

Message 20 of 32
chris5000
Tutor

Thank you for your response. May I ask what version of firmware are you using.
Message 21 of 32
cyberprashant
Luminary

@madbrain wrote:

@esiebert7625 wrote:

That is simply not correct. After a few days to a week, it will auto-upgrade to the latest again.

A few of us have sucessfully blocked it.  Not sure what the magic was (it took several tries I know) --> I have 2 orbi systems both downgraded now over 3 weeks ago firmly stuck on 1.11.0.20 (confirmed).  It does show every time that an upgrade is available (resist clicking it). .   The key here was there is a router ahead of the orbi (orbi WAN , connected to lan port of old r7000) - that router ahead has downloads.netgear.com blocked.   That block has to be in place before the downgrade.    

Agree - way too complicated and frustrating tho - not sure why netgear does not have a way to disable this. 

Message 22 of 32
madbrain
Luminary

@cyberprashant wrote:

@madbrain wrote:

@esiebert7625 wrote:

A few of us have sucessfully blocked it.  Not sure what the magic was (it took several tries I know) --> I have 2 orbi systems both downgraded now over 3 weeks ago firmly stuck on 1.11.0.20 (confirmed).  It does show every time that an upgrade is available (resist clicking it). .   The key here was there is a router ahead of the orbi (orbi WAN , connected to lan port of old r7000) - that router ahead has downloads.netgear.com blocked.   That block has to be in place before the downgrade.    

Agree - way too complicated and frustrating tho - not sure why netgear does not have a way to disable this. 

That is my exact setup - R7000 as router, Orbi WAN connected to R7000 LAN port.

Blocking downloads.netgear.com in the R7000 did not work for me. I had no less than 4 automatic upgrades to the latest in this configuration. All my attempts at preventing upgrade failed.

Last time I had an auto upgrade, and I did a manual firmware rollback, my Orbi router got bricked. I got a replacement from Netgear monday. Right now, all running the latest firmware since then without satellite dropoff issue yet, knocking on wood ...

Message 23 of 32
cyberprashant
Luminary

@madbrain wrote:

@cyberprashant wrote:

@madbrain wrote:

@esiebert7625 wrote:

That is my exact setup - R7000 as router, Orbi WAN connected to R7000 LAN port.

Blocking downloads.netgear.com in the R7000 did not work for me. I had no less than 4 automatic upgrades to the latest in this configuration. All my attempts at preventing upgrade failed.

Last time I had an auto upgrade, and I did a manual firmware rollback, my Orbi router got bricked. I got a replacement from Netgear monday. Right now, all running the latest firmware since then without satellite dropoff issue yet, knocking on wood ...

ah sorry to hear it keeps upgrading.  But if its stable knock on wood and hopefully they say an update is coming soon.  BTW: when I browse to downloads.netgear.com on a PC connected to the orbi I get this:  http: // downloads.netgear.com/ --> Invalid URL 

Invalid URL

The requested URL "/", is invalid.

Reference #9.7655e68.1503637424.44fe4e2

THis tells me the block is in place.   See if you are getting that.   The stupid thing is super fast at upgrading post-downgrade so post-downgrade (for whcih ideally u have the files for 1.11.0.20 saved on your PC, disconnect orbi from the internet (wan port) and then issue the telnet commands quickly and only after you are sure you have successfully downgraded and issued the correct telnet commands with the committ statement reconnect WAN port.    

Even still i think it took several tries.  This is more than anyone really needs to be doing netgear so pls get the update out SOON!

Message 24 of 32
Biker1967
Tutor

I returned my 'defect' system bundle to the shop and got a new one.

I installed it out-of-the box, let ir run for a day untouched, worked fine.

After that, performed an update to this latest version and let it run for a day, worked fine.

After that, set-it to AP mode iso Router and ticked the mu-mimo box , worked and still works fine, no issues.

Closed the case raised @Netgear 

So it seems I had a mal-functioning system.

I'll leave this community (for now) :0

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7