Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

V1.3.0.12 - Outstanding Issues

wziemer
Star

V1.3.0.12 - Outstanding Issues

Model: Netgear Orbi RBK50 (Orbi Base + Satallite)

Firmware: V1.3.0.12

Browsers: Any, Primary Browser is Chrome though.

I have seen several people mention issues with the Netgear Orbi router on the netgear forums lately. I also have seen several people mention some fixes/workarounds. I just thought it would make sense to try to document the ones i'm able to confirm and am experiancing in a single post. 

1. Issue: Wifi randomly dropping Nest Wifi cameras. Specifically NestCam (5ghz) and Dropcam HD (2.4ghz). Both cameras drop at similar times and it happens multiple times per day. 
    1. Workaround: Go to the "Advanced" tab -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless Settings and uncheck "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices" 
      1. With this setting left enabled, the cameras will work just fine but several times per day they will drop for 10-15 minutes, typically 5-6 times per day. 
  2. Issue: Attached Devices has a bunch of unknown devices even though this was listed as an issue that was resolved in the latest firmware release.
    1. Example:
      1. 2016-10-28_21-47-11.png
      2. Note: Above screenshot was taken after enabling adavnced device details view from debug section, but same thing is noticed when you view the default setting
  3. Wifi connects but seems to not provide an internet connection at random. We noticed this mainly at night when we are winding down before bed and typically using iOS devices (ipad pro, iPhone 6S/7 Plus). 
    1. I'm still troubleshooting this one but so far, i think its got something to do with the satallite. My next step is probably going to be trying to just unplug the satallite for a day or two and see if we still continue to see the same issue. 
    2. We typically always notice this on facebook, the feed simply does not update and as soon as we toggle wifi off and refresh, like magic everything updates. Flip wifi back on and it may work, but eventually it stop working again and you either have to wait a bit and then it starts working or toggle wifi off for a bit and then reconnect again. Like i said, more troubleshooting needed here as i'm not entirely sure what causes this. 
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 30

Re: V1.3.0.12 - Outstanding Issues

yup i concur with the unknown connection issue 

however i dont have any devices that have issues but the nest issue is a known one

have no issues with connectivity but i also only run the orbi in ap mode at the current time and let me router ( asus rt-ac88u ) do all the heavy lifting

pete

Message 2 of 30
Fivef555
Aspirant

My wife is having the same issue with the IPhone losing the connection and apps not refreshing. We haven't found a work around. If Netgear ever enables the ability to choose whether a device connects to the router or satellite I suspect that I may solve this issue.
Message 3 of 30
rhester72
Virtuoso

Not sure what to say, honestly - our family has four iPhone roaming around the house without issue.

What model iPhone is having trouble?

Rodney

Message 4 of 30
Fivef555
Aspirant

My IPhone 6 is working fine. My wife's iPhone 7 hasn't consistently been refreshing apps such as facebook since moving from the Nighthawk X8 to the Orbi system. I also noticed her phone seems to stay connected to the satellite when mine is connected to the router even though we are sitting in the same room next to each other.
Message 5 of 30
wziemer
Star

My wife's iPhone is a 7 Plus and mine is a 6S Plus and we both see the issue. Typically its when we are upstairs (the satallite is upstairs and the base unit is downstaris) that we notice it, thought sometimes we notice it in my living room but thats a pretty equal distance between both the base and the satallite so what i need to pay more attention to is which device its connected to when this issue occurs to see if i can find a pattern. 

I may just unplug the satallite tonight and see how the rest of this week goes.

Message 6 of 30
rhester72
Virtuoso

I haven't seen any issues at all with the 3 iPhone 6 Pluses we have.  There is also an iPhone 7 here, but it's my mother-in-laws and honestly if it were having any issues with wifi I sincerely doubt she'd notice.  I'll do a bit of testing with her device to see if I observe any problems.

Rodney

Message 7 of 30
wziemer
Star

So keep in mind that what i'm seeing is specifically around facebook. What you'll notice is that facebook "seems" like its working just fine, since they now have an offline mode where it simply shows you what it saw last time you had a valid connection, you may not even realize you're not online or updated. You can check this by making sure that facebook is set to view your "most recent" feed instead of the now default view which puts posts facebook thinks are most important first (which may even be a day or two old).

Message 8 of 30
rhester72
Virtuoso

Those with iPhone (and Facebook on iPhone) issues - is Orbi configured in router or AP mode?

Rodney

Message 9 of 30
Fivef555
Aspirant

Mine is in router mode. My wife was telling me she also has the issue when using safari sometimes. She gets a message stating she isn't connected to the internet.
Message 10 of 30
wziemer
Star

Router mode here as well.

Message 11 of 30
rhester72
Virtuoso

I asked because I am in AP mode and not seeing the issues you are describing, which suggests (at least) that the issue is likely more on the routing side than the wireless side.

If possible, perhaps one/both of you would like to consider putting your old router into place, disabling wifi services on the original router and running Orbi in AP mode to see if the problem goes away?

Rodney

Message 12 of 30
Fivef555
Aspirant

I no longer have my own router to give it a try. To be honest although the phone worked fine on the X8, I am not convinced that this isn't an IOS 10 issue as well. I work for a large electronics retailer and a log of people are having issues with connectivity after the update and it seems that it's random as far the phones it effects.
Message 13 of 30
rhester72
Virtuoso

@Fivef555 wrote:
I no longer have my own router to give it a try. To be honest although the phone worked fine on the X8, I am not convinced that this isn't an IOS 10 issue as well. I work for a large electronics retailer and a log of people are having issues with connectivity after the update and it seems that it's random as far the phones it effects.

Useful data point!  None of our iPhones have been upgraded to 10 (deliberately).

Rodney

Message 14 of 30
bijugm
Aspirant

See the same issue with the kids 2 iphone 6 and sometimes with mine. Is the resolved in V1.3.0.26? I am at this version now. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 15 of 30
Fivef555
Aspirant

My household is still having the same issues. I've also noticed devices having to be reconnected to the network lately. Mainly the fire Tv's are having intermittent connection issues when streaming through PlayStation Vue but forgetting my network and reconnecting seems to fix the issue. The same just happened with a MacBook tonight. Both devices show full wifi signal but act as if there is no internet connection until I reconnect. At this point my suspicions around iOS 10 being the culprit seemed to be unfounded based on the issues with other devices. Conversely the one device I watch PlayStation Vue on that's hard wired Snr having any of the issues.
Message 16 of 30
Fivef555
Aspirant

*isnt
Message 17 of 30

general question regarding this passphrase thing

are ppl using an ssid that they have used before on other routers or are you using a new and unused ssid for the orbi system ?

Message 18 of 30
Fivef555
Aspirant

I created a new one when I replaced my X8.
Message 19 of 30
Hydro130
Luminary

@peteytesting wrote:

general question regarding this passphrase thing

are ppl using an ssid that they have used before on other routers or are you using a new and unused ssid for the orbi system ?

I came from an Asus 5300, and I kept that primary SSID/password when I switched to Orbi.  I have a couple of iPhones (SE and 6S) and an older Macbook Air, plus a variety of HA tools (Honeywell RedLink, SmartThings hub, Hue hub, Harmony hub, Google Home x5) - all have worked very smoothly on Orbi and the "old" SSID.

The only consistent glitch I have with the Orbi is whenever I need to reboot it (firmware update, etc)...  It always takes a few reboot cycles to finally "catch" and fully connect to the interwebs.  I've had this issue with both v12 and v26 of the firmware.  But if that's the worst thing I have to live with for this router, I'll very happily do it!! 🙂

Cheers, Chris

Message 20 of 30
JMU1998
Luminary

Having same issue in AP mode random WiFi drops on variety of mobile devices including iPhone, iPads and Sony Xperia tablets.  Switching channels reboots factory resets all performed many times.  Un checking implicit beam forming has helped a little now reboots 2or 3 times a week rather than nightly.

Message 21 of 30
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JMU1998

Are you on the latest firmware?  Have you noticed the wifi drops when your connected to the main router or the satellite?

DarrenM

Message 22 of 30
JMU1998
Luminary

Yes I am on the latest fw and frequent WiFi drops on various wireless devices randomly several times a day on both main unit and satellite since going with latest fw.

Message 23 of 30
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JMU1998

We just released 1.4.0.16 this release has alot of fixes in it you may want to try and upgrade and see if this improves the performance.

DarrenM

Message 24 of 30
bijugm
Aspirant

Hi DarrenM,

After your message when I checked the router admin page I noticed one router and one satellite(2nd Floor) updated to latest firmware. So I went ahead and updated the remaining Satellite(1st Floor) to new firmware.

Now the 1st floor satellite won't stay connected and drops from admin page after few hours. Called tech support twice and exhausted all the support steps.

Since I bought it only a month back and during holiday I have returns with costco till Jan end. So I am going to return and see if new one has better luck.

Thanks,

Bijugm

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7