Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: V2.1.1.12 is not ready for public release

larryindublin
Luminary

@ThePathfinder, did you get the Eero 2nd gen with 1 "master" and the 2 satellites (that plug right into outlet), or the one with 3 "masters" (best way I can think to explain).

Message 26 of 57
netgearguy
Apprentice

@ThePathfinder said

"I can’t believe I am saying this but I think the one thing I will miss is the mundane Netgear web interface its been around so long through so many of my products that its like an old friend."

I laughed out loud here, in sympathy, as I feel exactly the same and thought it was just me...when I've experimented w/routers from other manufacturers I always miss that tired but oh so familiar Netgear router management UI.  😄 

Glad to hear your Eero transition went well. I'm going to keep plugging on the Orbi for a bit longer and if it won't settle down I'll be joining you w/the Eero.

Message 27 of 57
mccx
Star

I'm looking at the Eero also.   Looks like the 2nd gen beacon design has changed and have no ethernet ports.   Most reviews seem to rate both 1st and 2nd gen the best (than velop, obri, etc). 

I think I'm going to get the 1st gen, plus it's cheaper.

Message 28 of 57
tagteam
Virtuoso

@larryindublin wrote:

.the Eero 2nd gen with 1 "master" and the 2 satellites (that plug right into outlet), or the one with 3 "masters" (best way I can think to explain).

The eero Pro system comes with three tri-band eeros, not one eero and two beacons.

Message 29 of 57
tagteam
Virtuoso

ThePathfinder wrote:.

...If you bought your Orbi from Costco and are having issues take it back and buy the eero pro wifi system I got mine from Amazon and the price was a wash.

The problem with that reasoning is you didn't buy the eero from Costco. If you have the same (or similar) issues with the eero down the road, you won't be able to return it to Amazon and get a full refund like you did when you returned your Orbi.

Message 30 of 57
netgearguy
Apprentice

@tagteam wrote:

ThePathfinder wrote:.

...If you bought your Orbi from Costco and are having issues take it back and buy the eero pro wifi system I got mine from Amazon and the price was a wash.

The problem with that reasoning is you didn't buy the eero from Costco. If you have the same (or similar) issues with the eero down the road, you won't be able to return it to Amazon and get a full refund like you did when you returned your Orbi.

Amazon is pretty flexible w/their return policies on items they sell (as opposed to vendors selling on their site)...I had a ~$90 Zwave garage door controller go bad 7 months after I bought it - called and Amazon sent me a new one, no muss, no fuss. Another time I bought some faucets and other things for a double bathroom remodel in November, planning a late November/December complete. Yeah, right. 🙂  So in April when we were finally actually finishing up, the faucets, spouts, levers, knobs, and other trim pieces had become a combination of no longer what we wanted or and/or longer what we needed. Called Amazon and they OK'd returning all of it.  

And I've had similar expeiences w/other smaller purchases from them, they haven't enforced the letter of the law on me. I am a Prime member and do 90% of my shopping from them, and I'm sure that probably helps. 

Costco has a 90 day policy on electronics IIRC. I would be pretty surprised if I made a purchase on Amazon on an item they sell, and I couldn't get them to do a refund within that time frame as well, and likely longer...might have to push a little, but I'd bet on them taking care of me.  

Message 31 of 57
tagteam
Virtuoso

@netgearguy wrote:
Costco has a 90 day policy on electronics IIRC....

That 90-day policy only applies to certain electronic items (TVs, cell phones, major appliances, cameras, et al); it does not apply to routers. I am also a Prime member and buy a ton of stuff from Amazon. However, I would not expect Amazon to issue a refund on the likes of a $400-$500 mesh system a year or more after I purchased it. I have absolutely no doubt that Costco will issue a refund on my Orbi system should it ever present insurmountable issues, regardless of my length of ownership.

Message 32 of 57
ThePathfinder
Apprentice

mccx - Go 2nd gen it has a 3rd radio and twice the power

Message 33 of 57
ThePathfinder
Apprentice

tagteam - I purchased the 5 year square trade warrenty for $10.95 and I also contacted eero support before purchasing and am confident they stand by their product. 

Message 34 of 57
ThePathfinder
Apprentice

To anyone thinking about making a change I would suggest considering the difference between the posts listed on the Netgear Community to those of the eero Community. 

There are some that would have us believe that those of us that had or are having problems with the Orbi were only a small percentage but if you look at the posts to me it tells all.

Further every question and/or suggestion I have emailed to eero has been responded to within 24 hours, I did not get his level of service with Netgear on my Orbi. 

I do trully hope that someone at Netgear would take the time to read these posts and get back to taking care of the customer, they built their business on good service and then somewhere along the way FORGOT what they were about. I would rather see less new products and better support than hundreds of products and next to zero support. 

Message 35 of 57
netgearguy
Apprentice

I was on a call w/a Netgear support agent today, and he was courteous and helpful. We did find an odd issue - my router's FW update page showed a RBS50 as one of my devices, and I don't have one of those at all (have RBR40 and RBW30). So we did a reset and re-setup, but unfortunately I've had a loss of network since then, either the router rebooted or it lost connectiivity - when I checked the router and satellite, the router was blinking white LED, and the satellite was solid purple.

So things are still not working right. I may exchange for another unit in case this is a HW issue...obviously everyone w/an Orbi isn't having these issues, and maybe there were some inconsistencies w/part suppliers and/or QC, or different chipsets used that make things unstable for some and fine for others.  

Message 36 of 57
dpdurst
Luminary

While the upgrade went smooth, I used to have anywhere from 4-8 devices connected to the Sat and now I have 0. After the upgrade at one time I had about 4 devices, over a week later they all moved over to the Router connection and nothing now is connected to the Sat.. Ugh..

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 37 of 57
st_shaw
Master

@dpdurst wrote:

While the upgrade went smooth, I used to have anywhere from 4-8 devices connected to the Sat and now I have 0. After the upgrade at one time I had about 4 devices, over a week later they all moved over to the Router connection and nothing now is connected to the Sat.. Ugh..

I believe there's a display bug in the attached devices list that causes most devices to show connected to the router, even when they are connected to the satellite.  So don't believe what you see there.

Message 38 of 57
Retired_Member
Not applicable

When you took your Orbi back to Costco how did they handle the transaction?  Did you receive a Costco gift card (which I've seen in the pass), or credit your debit card, or perhaps cash...??

Message 39 of 57
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Yes there is a display bug in the attached devices that is being addressed in the next release of the 2.1 firmware that is coming soon.

DarrenM

Message 40 of 57
larryindublin
Luminary

Sure hope they are fixing more than just the display bug!
Message 41 of 57
ThePathfinder
Apprentice

VAJim - I had purchased online with a Mastercard, they refunded the total purchase price onto a Visa card of my choice.

Message 42 of 57
ThePathfinder
Apprentice

DarrenM - V2.1.1.12 caused far more than a "display bug" with my Orbi, not even a firmware downgrade could get my system working correctly again.

Message 43 of 57
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@DarrenM wrote:

Yes there is a display bug in the attached devices that is being addressed in the next release of the 2.1 firmware that is coming soon.

DarrenM

Yes, I can tell by the wireless signal strength that's shown on the client whether clients are really connected to the router or satellite, so not a problem. Glad to hear that it's being fixed, though, kind of looks weird *smile*.

The Orbi continues to work well as a wireless AP for me.

Message 44 of 57
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ThePathfinder wrote:

VAJim - I had purchased online with a Mastercard, they refunded the total purchase price onto a Visa card of my choice.

Thank you!

Message 45 of 57
sbeares1210
Guide

Have you tried making these changes to the settings to enbaled I list below?

I have a medium size hosue and 3 units so I have considerable overlap and this helped me immensely.

Almost took it back and has been working awesome ever since, interested in your results as well.

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming
Message 46 of 57
ThePathfinder
Apprentice

sbeares1210 - If your question was directed at me, yes my system had those items turned on though L2 support had me turn off Fast Roaming until they provided the last beta version of firmware I was on (which again had my system working perfectly). 

V2.1.1.12 is where it all went wrong for me (and obviously others)

Message 47 of 57
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

The same experience that I had with my RBK53.  All was perfect - in fact, excellent - until I updated to the 1.12.0.18 firmware.  Went from excellent to unusable.  I tried everything, including resets, NVRAM reset, trying to revert to previous firnware, etc.  Finally, I was exasperated enough to call it quits.  I got an Eero and have been pleased as punch ever since the day that I fired it up.  As an experiment, I updated the Orbi to 2.0.0.74 using it as an access point, and that version seems to be stable (obviously, I didn't take the time to check everything out, since the Eero system is so stablew.  So, I'm "gifting" it to friend to try out with the 2.0.0.74 firmware- Hopefully, it will work for him with V2.0.0.74 and not push to 2.1.1.12.  I don't like the idea of transferring my old problems to a friend, so I hope that it works well.  I'm not about to ask for any money in return for a questionable product.

Message 48 of 57
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

Go with the second generation Eero - It is rock solid. I've had my for over two months now, and I am very pleased with it in every respect.

@mccx wrote:

I'm looking at the Eero also.   Looks like the 2nd gen beacon design has changed and have no ethernet ports.   Most reviews seem to rate both 1st and 2nd gen the best (than velop, obri, etc). 

I think I'm going to get the 1st gen, plus it's cheaper.

Message 49 of 57
Userunnown
Aspirant

I am done with Orbi. I've had it for about 6 months and it has only gotten worse. 2.1.1.12 is the worst yet. I can't stand that I have to back track my firmware and lose out on crucial vulnerability patches. It is just unacceptable from a company that I thought carried the reputation that Netgear did. Amazon was able to send me return labels despite being so far out of the return period. I'll be findind a different system.

Message 50 of 57
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7