Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: V2.3.5.30 Broke Bridge Mode Dont Upgrade

FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact one of the forum moderators to see if they can help you. 

@In5iDi0uZ wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You might contact NG support about this and see if they might be able to fix the R7000 wireless bridge mode to work with the Orbi system for long term use. They fixed the EX8000 and 7700. 

Yaa, It says i need to pay for support so I will not be doing that.

Message 26 of 50
Ragar99
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

But the real question is....IF you were able to block auto FW updates...then what?  

I would do what I did on prior routers like Asus running Merlin.   I would decide when and what to upgrade to.   I would skip releases like 2.3.5.30. 

What is ironic is the main justification for auto upgrades is security patches, but I am running in AP mode so the security patches are not applicable.  My security is handled by an Edgerouter.

Message 27 of 50
EDR1
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Was a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update and then check speeds?

Nope - I try to avoid this if possible - at this point I am not inconvenienced enough to bother...

* Have a number of static IPs that require redefining in the LAN Setup 

* I like the Device labeling - and relableing 15 or so devices is not as fun as it sounds....

My speeds seem to be up to snuff in low traffic hours - and I pay for 200MB service - so even when they are slower it's not like they are that slow...

Also noticed after a reboot of both the router & satellite it has settled some.

Message 28 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

At some point a factory reset will be needed if you seem to continue to experience bad behavior. This has resolved issues before. 

After setting up from scratch and you get the system setup well, remember to do a back up configuration to file. This saves time when doing factory resets.

Good Luck. 

@EDR1 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Was a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update and then check speeds?

Nope - I try to avoid this if possible - at this point I am not inconvenienced enough to bother...

* Have a number of static IPs that require redefining in the LAN Setup 

* I like the Device labeling - and relableing 15 or so devices is not as fun as it sounds....

My speeds seem to be up to snuff in low traffic hours - and I pay for 200MB service - so even when they are slower it's not like they are that slow...

Also noticed after a reboot of both the router & satellite it has settled some.

Message 29 of 50
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ragar99 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

But the real question is....IF you were able to block auto FW updates...then what?  

I would do what I did on prior routers like Asus running Merlin.   I would decide when and what to upgrade to.   I would skip releases like 2.3.5.30. 

What is ironic is the main justification for auto upgrades is security patches, but I am running in AP mode so the security patches are not applicable.  My security is handled by an Edgerouter.

When you decide which FW to upgrade to you may want to bottle that concept.  You'd make a million.  IMHO...never understood why folks continue to use another router with an Orbi router  (which is rated in most cases up to 7k sq feet).  If it's a matter of device control you may ask yourself how can I simplify?  Good look on your future upgrades.

Message 30 of 50
In5iDi0uZ
Guide

WElp

What I'm able to find out thus far:

- orbi_auto_upgrade records timestamp

- auto_check_for_upgrade is actually a no-op.  Otherwise, new firmware version notification will never show up on firmware update page.

- auto_update controls QoS behaviors.

- orbi_auto_upg is controlled by Enabled/Disable radio switches via the hidden section of the firmware update page.

- orbi_auto_flag doesn't seem to exist and I couldn't find it anywhere in the firmware or its reference.  I don't know what it does.  Maybe someone knows.

Welp, i must be missing some setting, cause it updated again and lost connection.

Message 31 of 50
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@In5iDi0uZ wrote:

WElp

What I'm able to find out thus far:

- orbi_auto_upgrade records timestamp

- auto_check_for_upgrade is actually a no-op.  Otherwise, new firmware version notification will never show up on firmware update page.

- auto_update controls QoS behaviors.

- orbi_auto_upg is controlled by Enabled/Disable radio switches via the hidden section of the firmware update page.

- orbi_auto_flag doesn't seem to exist and I couldn't find it anywhere in the firmware or its reference.  I don't know what it does.  Maybe someone knows.

Welp, i must be missing some setting, cause it updated again and lost connection.

If auto-updating kept happening via telnet method, factory reset the Orbi and give the hidden UI method a go?

Message 32 of 50
In5iDi0uZ
Guide

If auto-updating kept happening via telnet method, factory reset the Orbi and give the hidden UI method a go?

Tried the hidden UI method, was a little confused but figured it out. Checked this morning and it stayed at my old firmware that works. Thanks for your help.

Message 33 of 50
Ragar99
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

IMHO...never understood why folks continue to use another router with an Orbi router  (which is rated in most cases up to 7k sq feet).  

Why?  The reason is simple.  Routing has nothing to with "7k sq ft" and in terms of routing the Orbi is quite pedestrian and average.  It has the same basic routing features you get with much less expensive consumer routers.

The only reason to own an Orbi is to get great wifi without wiring.  The Orbi excels at mesh wifi and range.   Same capabilities in terms of wifi when used in AP or router modes.

Message 34 of 50
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ragar99 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

IMHO...never understood why folks continue to use another router with an Orbi router  (which is rated in most cases up to 7k sq feet).  

Why?  The reason is simple.  Routing has nothing to with "7k sq ft" and in terms of routing the Orbi is quite pedestrian and average.  It has the same basic routing features you get with much less expensive consumer routers.

The only reason to own an Orbi is to get great wifi without wiring.  The Orbi excels at mesh wifi and range.   Same capabilities in terms of wifi when used in AP or router modes.

Good luck with your explantion of 'routing'  

WIFI like all radio signals becomes further deluted each time it passes or is extended.

There's nothing you can do effectivley to boost a WIFI signal once it's delivered to your residence. 

If you're concerned to wifi traffic flow, and you feel the Orbi Mesh alone doesn't meet the bill, you may need to simply your network central.  Providing wifi for the neighborhood?

Good luck.

Message 35 of 50
Ragar99
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

WIFI like all radio signals becomes further deluted each time it passes or is extended.

There's nothing you can do effectivley to boost a WIFI signal once it's delivered to your residence. 

If you're concerned to wifi traffic flow, and you feel the Orbi Mesh alone doesn't meet the bill, you may need to simply your network central.  Providing wifi for the neighborhood?

Good luck.

It is not my definition of routing.  What you fail to comprehend is that routing is not specific to wifi.  Google is your friend.

Message 36 of 50
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ragar99 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

Good luck.

It is not my definition of routing.  What you fail to comprehend is that routing is not specific to wifi.  Google is your friend.

What you fail to comprehend is that routing is not my concern.

Peace...out

Message 37 of 50
Ragar99
Luminary

Have a gander at this review and testing of the Orbi.  You'll see two things, first "routing performance" and "wireless performance" are separate tests, because again they are two different things.  Second the Orbis didn't do very well in the routing performance tests.  Maybe you don't care about routing performance, but most people do.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33132-wi-fi-system-retest-netgear-ac3000-o...

Message 38 of 50
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ragar99 wrote:

Have a gander at this review and testing of the Orbi.  You'll see two things, first "routing performance" and "wireless performance" are separate tests, because again they are two different things.  Second the Orbis didn't do very well in the routing performance tests.  Maybe you don't care about routing performance, but most people do.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33132-wi-fi-system-retest-netgear-ac3000-o...

So why do you own the Orbi?

Message 39 of 50
Ragar99
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Ragar99 wrote:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33132-wi-fi-system-retest-netgear-ac3000-orbi-and-linksys-velop

So why do you own the Orbi?

Simple. I have the best of both worlds, great wireless performance via the Orbi in AP mode, great routing performance through an Edgerouter.

Message 40 of 50
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@In5iDi0uZ wrote:

Tried the hidden UI method, was a little confused but figured it out. Checked this morning and it stayed at my old firmware that works. Thanks for your help.

It's good to know that disabling Auto Firmware Update via Orbi UI works for you.  Your experience/result will definitely help others, who might be in a similar pickle.  Thanks for your feedback!

Message 41 of 50
Ragar99
Luminary

@In5iDi0uZ wrote:

The original post says if the Orbi reboots the block on auto updating is lost.  Have you rebooted yet?

Message 42 of 50
THizzle7XU
Aspirant

The Orbi was just updated to firmware v2.5.0.38, and my EX7300 extender still cannot connect to the WiFi network to extend the network. The last firmware for Orbi where the EX7300 was able to connect fine was v2.3.1.60.

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 43 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

The 3700 may not be compatible with Orbi from the start. One user reported that the EX8000 didn't work. I found my EX7700s didn't work either. NG was able to make them compatible with a FW udpate for the EXs. 

You'll need to contact NG support and see if they can do this for the 3700 model or not. 

@THizzle7XU wrote:

The Orbi was just updated to firmware v2.5.0.38, and my EX7300 extender still cannot connect to the WiFi network to extend the network. The last firmware for Orbi where the EX7300 was able to connect fine was v2.3.1.60.

Message 44 of 50
THizzle7XU
Aspirant

No, the EX7300 was working perfectly with the Orbi since I purchased it UNTIL the Orbi was updated to v2.3.5.30. It's the whole point of this thread. In fact, downgrading the router only to the prior firmware allows the EX7300 to connect again. Except the Orbi forces the firmware to autoupdate.
Message 45 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

Then this is something NG support needs to know. NG should be able to fix the EX with a FW update as they did for the 8000 and 7700s. 

@THizzle7XU wrote:
No, the EX7300 was working perfectly with the Orbi since I purchased it UNTIL the Orbi was updated to v2.3.5.30. It's the whole point of this thread. In fact, downgrading the router only to the prior firmware allows the EX7300 to connect again. Except the Orbi forces the firmware to autoupdate.

Message 46 of 50
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @THizzle7XU

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 47 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

Thankl you.

@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi @THizzle7XU

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 48 of 50
THizzle7XU
Aspirant

Seeing as support is behind a paywall, posting to the Netgear forums is notifying support once you've owned your device longer than 3 months to 1 year...

Message 49 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if they upgrade your EX model. 

@THizzle7XU wrote:

Seeing as support is behind a paywall, posting to the Netgear forums is notifying support once you've owned your device longer than 3 months to 1 year...

Message 50 of 50
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 49 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7