Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: V2.5.0.38 Firmware shows attached devices with incorrect connection type

V2.5.0.38 Firmware shows attached devices with incorrect connection type

After I updated to the latest firmware V2.5.0.38 using the "check for updates" from within my Netgear Orbi I noticed that all of the attached devices show the wrong connection type for example:

1. My Samsung Galaxy S8+ Phones show up as connection type: "Wired"
  2. My Denon AVR-1912 (Audio/Video Receiver) which I have plugged in via Cat5 cable shows up as connection type "5G"

The new icons also suck compared to the old icons which were actual pictures of things instead of drawings.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch to see if the connection type get corrected? 

@WiseSilverWolf wrote:

After I updated to the latest firmware V2.5.0.38 using the "check for updates" from within my Netgear Orbi I noticed that all of the attached devices show the wrong connection type for example:

2. My Denon AVR-1912 (Audio/Video Receiver) which I have plugged in via Cat5 cable shows up as connection type "5G"

The new icons also suck compared to the old icons which were actual pictures of things instead of drawings.  

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

You are correct.  People who upgraded firmware are consistently reporting that device names and icons are completely messed up.  They also report a host of other issues.  Many have reported manually "going back" to 2.3.5.30.  I, myself, am relieved that I have not gone through this exercise in futility because I decided to "wait and see".

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch to see if the connection type get corrected? 

@WiseSilverWolf wrote:

Message 3 of 12

Yeah I just reset it to factory default settings and it worked, the glitches are gone.

Thank you for the suggestion.  

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it worked. Be sure to save off a new backup config to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@WiseSilverWolf wrote:

Hmmm.  These pictures appear to be similar to the icons used in the Orbi "app".  I agree completely.  This feature has been "disimproved."

Message 6 of 12
Schmak01
Apprentice

I am having the same problem but resetting to factory defaults will be a PITA since I have so many settings, static IP's and NAT mappings.

Anyway to flush just this list and let me reset it?  It's annoying as hell and makes the whole access control no longer work propperly as I am turning off the wrong things NAS server is showing up a kid's iPhone, correct MAC addr and IP, but wrong name and device type when it was set before correctly. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset should resolved your problem. Reset and setup from scratch and after its all back online, do a backup configuration to file. This will save you time later on. 

@Schmak01 wrote:

I am having the same problem but resetting to factory defaults will be a PITA since I have so many settings, static IP's and NAT mappings.

Anyway to flush just this list and let me reset it?  It's annoying as hell and makes the whole access control no longer work propperly as I am turning off the wrong things NAS server is showing up a kid's iPhone, correct MAC addr and IP, but wrong name and device type when it was set before correctly. 

Message 8 of 12
Schmak01
Apprentice

I specifically didn't want to do a factory reset, but I did anyway.

Now the list has the right IP's to the right MAC addresses, but as I go through and reassign item types and names, it does not save them.  For example it lists all my echos as fireTV's.  I go and rename one, and it says it saved, either through the app or the web portal, and boom, its still FIRE TV.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya the device naming and configuration is a confirmed problem. NG is aware of it. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Device-Names-not-Saving/m-p/1814872#M73526

Once the system is setup for now, do a back up configuration to file. This will save time later one if needed. 

Message 10 of 12
Schmak01
Apprentice

I might end up switching DHCP to my Pi Hole until this is fixed.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You can configure AP mode on the RBR and use a different DHCP server...

@Schmak01 wrote:

I might end up switching DHCP to my Pi Hole until this is fixed.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7