Reply

V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

jeremiahxlee
Tutor

V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

Since updating to V2.5.1.16 on RBR50 and satellite, I am having brief moments of network disruption experienced by all devices on the network. My husband and I will be on our laptops while music is streaming on our tv and all devices will experience a brief period of no connectivity. All devices show full strength connectivity before the interruption.

 

Sometimes the devices still show connection to the network even though no data seems to be flowing. In these times, I try to connect to Orbi's admin page, but cannnot reach it (times out). When I am able to get data again and view the Orbi logs, I will see the reconnection of devices immediately after the momentary connection blip, which suggests the devices did indeed lose connection.

 

I have not had any connection issues in the 3 years of owning the Orbi and there have been no new devices added to the network in the last few months. Something is broken, but I don't know what.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).


Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 32
PtsD
Aspirant

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

Like the original poster. I bought the rbr50+satellite yesterday after realizing my netgear nighthawk x6s throughput maxed at 320mbdn with ethernet. Before purchase, I had my wifi company tech out to check all lines. He tested before and after router and found that the router maxed at 320mbdn I have fiberoptics, 750mbdn. Upon initial hookup the Orbi was great--signal great, throughput great. The issue is the network dropped every hour or so. I am only using wifi, no ethernet connections. Distance 25 feet, 2 walls. Started a chat with Orbi tech, he found out I had v2.3.5.30 (this is what the orbilogin.net says is newest update). Got disconnected when Wifi network dropped. Called back, went through spiel with "Elsa" (no ticket number from first tech-"Alfredo") and got dropped at installing the updates to v2.5 1.16. I did the satellite first, then router. No change. still dropped network every hourish. Went to bed. Got up, network dropped. Unplugged router and satellite. Even though the fiber optics doesn't have a modem per se, I unplugged the reset/plug waited and then replugged it in then hit reset. I then plugged in the router, waited for connection, then added the satellite. Still dropped. I then turned off those things recommended to be turned off (20/40, daisy chain, fast roaming) and turned on things recommended to turn on (2.4 set to channel 6, beamforming, mimo). Some of those were already in recommended position.

I have not done factory reset and setup since I updated the to version 2.5.1.16.

Any advice as to what to do next?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 32
CrimpOn
Sensei

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

Although the symptoms appear identical, the cause may not be.

 

  • Which ISP provides this fiber ONT?
  • When the internet connection "drops", it gets restarted if the Orbi is powered off and back on, correct?
  • The next time it drops, can you try opening the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) and on the Home Page, click on Internet, and on the next page, click on the "Test" box at the top of the page.  Does this restore the internet connection?
  • It would be interesting to know if these internet "drops" correspond in any way to the DHCP lease from the ISP.
    On the Orbi web interface, the Advanced Tab, click on the box "Connection Status" and record
    * How long the lease time was, and
    * When the lease is set to expire.
    It would be fascinating to see if the internet connection drops just when the DHCP lease expires.

 

I love my Orbi.
Message 4 of 32
PtsD
Aspirant

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

Thanks for responding. My ISP is Cincinnati Bell. The router restarts itself. It acts like it is rebooting. It takes about a minute to come back on.

I will do the other items as soon as it happens again and let you know asap.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 32
CrimpOn
Sensei

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

(Sorry to be 'slow')  When this happens, the router appears to 'reboot' and the network returns without you doing anything?

Is the router where you can see the "ring light" at the top?

Does the ring light go through the typical sequence of colors during this event:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

I love my Orbi.
Message 6 of 32
PtsD
Aspirant

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

I do not have to do anything.  The router (and satellite) come back online after dropping the network (it cannot be found on the "available networks" on my devices), then a minute or so later, everything is back to normal.

 

I am not near the router, but that is a good point.  I will try to make sure I hang out near it for a while this evening (it is in a den).    Thank you for that idea!  (the lights are very subtle, at least on the satellite, so I will  pay close attention to the router).

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

I would do a factory reset on the system and setup from scratch. 

 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router


Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?


@PtsD wrote:
Like the original poster. I bought the rbr50+satellite yesterday after realizing my netgear nighthawk x6s throughput maxed at 320mbdn with ethernet. Before purchase, I had my wifi company tech out to check all lines. He tested before and after router and found that the router maxed at 320mbdn I have fiberoptics, 750mbdn. Upon initial hookup the Orbi was great--signal great, throughput great. The issue is the network dropped every hour or so. I am only using wifi, no ethernet connections. Distance 25 feet, 2 walls. Started a chat with Orbi tech, he found out I had v2.3.5.30 (this is what the orbilogin.net says is newest update). Got disconnected when Wifi network dropped. Called back, went through spiel with "Elsa" (no ticket number from first tech-"Alfredo") and got dropped at installing the updates to v2.5 1.16. I did the satellite first, then router. No change. still dropped network every hourish. Went to bed. Got up, network dropped. Unplugged router and satellite. Even though the fiber optics doesn't have a modem per se, I unplugged the reset/plug waited and then replugged it in then hit reset. I then plugged in the router, waited for connection, then added the satellite. Still dropped. I then turned off those things recommended to be turned off (20/40, daisy chain, fast roaming) and turned on things recommended to turn on (2.4 set to channel 6, beamforming, mimo). Some of those were already in recommended position.

I have not done factory reset and setup since I updated the to version 2.5.1.16.

Any advice as to what to do next?

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 8 of 32
PtsD
Aspirant

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

The network was fine from 1pm yesterday to 2pm today. Lost network 2 times in 20 minutes (pulsed white before coming back online). My phone lost signal several times in the late evening, no one else did, nor computers. I shut down my phone and went to bed. Son lost phone and comp signal around midnight, but network did not stop. We both restarted and that seemed to solve issue after turning on 20/40. These wifi drops only lasted a couple of seconds.

I just did a complete factory reset which turned on the daisy chain (not needed), 20/40, WMM, and channels to automatic.

Reset turned off beamforming, mumimo, fast roam. I do not use Circle, and have kept Armor off.

I will update as needed.

Furry-router/sat are 25 ft apart with 2 walls. 2 neighbors with weak signal. I am trying not to "cross the beams" lol
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 32
PtsD
Aspirant

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

At 6:03pm orbi dropped the network again. It rebooted. Any suggestions? Reapply the above suggestions?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 32
PtsD
Aspirant

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

Router dropped the network again at 7:23pm. All I saw was the pulsing white light before getting internet back.

Checking the log on orbilogin.net, it only goes back to the last time the router reset itself. All previous logs are nonexistent .
Message 11 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

Lets do this, turn OFF The RBS. Just run the RBR alone. 

Does the RBRs wifi maintain longer than what you have been seeing? 

 

25 feet is too close..30 feet or more is recommended for RBS from RBR. 


@PtsD wrote:
The network was fine from 1pm yesterday to 2pm today. Lost network 2 times in 20 minutes (pulsed white before coming back online). My phone lost signal several times in the late evening, no one else did, nor computers. I shut down my phone and went to bed. Son lost phone and comp signal around midnight, but network did not stop. We both restarted and that seemed to solve issue after turning on 20/40. These wifi drops only lasted a couple of seconds.

I just did a complete factory reset which turned on the daisy chain (not needed), 20/40, WMM, and channels to automatic.

Reset turned off beamforming, mumimo, fast roam. I do not use Circle, and have kept Armor off.

I will update as needed.

Furry-router/sat are 25 ft apart with 2 walls. 2 neighbors with weak signal. I am trying not to "cross the beams" lol

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 12 of 32
PtsD
Aspirant

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

Hi Furry, I turned off RBS. It was on for 3 hours and just dropped network again. Logs again only go back to the reset (white pulsing light), 5 minutes ago.

I get great reception with just the rbr all over the house, so at least I learned that much. I will turn off everything suggested earlier (daisy chain, etc) and update if the network drops again.

As of now, I am returning this in the morning. Nothing should be this complicated. It is 3 days old.
Message 13 of 32
jeremiahxlee
Tutor

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

I am the original poster. While the issues were present for 3 days after the update, they seem to have resolved on their own with no apparent changes.

Message 14 of 32
PtsD
Aspirant

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

Congrats, Jeremiah! Did you do anything to the orbi--the things that were recommended above?

My orbi reset at 10pm (I was on) and 2:35am, according to the log. I will exchange this one and be patient (after updating to latest firmware). Thank you all for your help.
Message 15 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

Ok so we can rule out the RBS. 

Seems that there is a problem between the RBR and ISP ONT possibly.

What is the mfr and model# of this ONT? 

 

You might downgrade the RBR from v16 to v30 and see if the RBR changes behavior. I would leave the RBS alone and OFF for now. 


@PtsD wrote:
Hi Furry, I turned off RBS. It was on for 3 hours and just dropped network again. Logs again only go back to the reset (white pulsing light), 5 minutes ago.

I get great reception with just the rbr all over the house, so at least I learned that much. I will turn off everything suggested earlier (daisy chain, etc) and update if the network drops again.

As of now, I am returning this in the morning. Nothing should be this complicated. It is 3 days old.

 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 16 of 32
daddydoitall
Aspirant

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

I am experiencing the same wireless drops/resets since updating the firmware a few days ago. My satellites are connected via ethernet so all ethernet devices stay online and have internet access. Only wifi internet goes offline for a short time. Has there been a solution or should I start by reset the system and start from scratch. I thought about downgrading the firmware but could not find the previous firmware to do it.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 32
CrimpOn
Sensei

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues


@daddydoitall wrote:

 I thought about downgrading the firmware but could not find the previous firmware to do it.


Click on the "Plus Sign" and the web page will display every previous version of firmware:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download 

I love my Orbi.
Message 18 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration if one is present?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...


@daddydoitall wrote:

I am experiencing the same wireless drops/resets since updating the firmware a few days ago. My satellites are connected via ethernet so all ethernet devices stay online and have internet access. Only wifi internet goes offline for a short time. Has there been a solution or should I start by reset the system and start from scratch. I thought about downgrading the firmware but could not find the previous firmware to do it.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 19 of 32
Mstrbig
Master

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

If you are experiencing internet outages, and you say the ONT is rebooting and the white light on the Orbi is blinking, that indicates the Orbi is trying to reconnect to the dropped internet. Some thoughts, have you ever reset the ONT or changed the connection cable from the ONT to the Orbi router? When I had FIOS, I had to occasionally reset the ONT, usually after brownouts, or I would get intermittent internet outage.  

Orbi RBK53 System/RBR50/RBS50/RBS50. + Orbi Voice RBS40V
RBK753 system/RBR750/RBS750/RBS750 + RBK853 System/RBR850/RBS850/RBS850
SXK80 — Orbi Pro AX6000 WiFi 6 Tri-Band WiFi System
There's always a logical answer, if you have all the facts!
Message 20 of 32
daddydoitall
Aspirant

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

I'm currently downgrading the firmware to see if that works. I've rebooted everything. The internet always works via ethernet but the wifi part of the router goes offline from time to time and then comes back on. I have xfinity and their system shows now outage or issues on their end when running the diagnostic. I noticed this hapopening more frequent since I upgrade the firmware a few days ago.

Message 21 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

Please give feed back to the questions presented so we can get an better idea of what you have and the configuration of the Orbi system. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 22 of 32
Mstrbig
Master

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues


@daddydoitall wrote:

The internet always works via ethernet but the wifi part of the router goes offline from time to time and then comes back on.


If you are having WIFI only issues and your ISP modem/router's WIFI is turned off, you may be experiencing WIFI inference. Try changing the channel. 


Orbi RBK53 System/RBR50/RBS50/RBS50. + Orbi Voice RBS40V
RBK753 system/RBR750/RBS750/RBS750 + RBK853 System/RBR850/RBS850/RBS850
SXK80 — Orbi Pro AX6000 WiFi 6 Tri-Band WiFi System
There's always a logical answer, if you have all the facts!
Message 23 of 32
daddydoitall
Aspirant

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

I have not factory reset and setup yet.

 

The RBR and RBSes are 30 to 40 feet apart but all connected via ethernet.

The modem is a Motorola SB6141.

The Orbi is running as a Router.

The ethernet switch is a Monoprice 8-Port 10/100/1000 Mbps Unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet Switch #15763

 

 

 

Message 24 of 32
daddydoitall
Aspirant

Re: V2.5.1.16 connectivity issues

The ISP modem has no wifi capabilities.

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 1963 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements