Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VLAN configuration for wireless

ssandheinrich
Aspirant

VLAN configuration for wireless

I purchased the RBR50 tri-band mesh router for our home from Costco.  I noticed that you can only set up one guest network.  I was looking into other options to secure my network and isolate traffic.  I understand that VLANs are supported with this device but from what I'm reading through the documentation, it may not be what I'm looking for.  Is it possible to connect VLANs for wireless connections?  It seems like it was only for wired connections directly connecting to the Orbi or the satellites.  Can someone please give me guidance on configuring this?  I would like to isolate my Internet of things traffic, my streaming media traffic and also my regular Internet browsing and email traffic.  Thank you in advance!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Guest Network doesn't support VLAN configurations. Guest Network depends on direct access to the WAN port from the WAN side of the router. 

Message 2 of 5
ssandheinrich
Aspirant

Sorry...I need to re-phrase that.  I would like to configure a VLAN so I can have "guests" connect to it rather than use the one built-in guest network.  Can I configure that via MAC addresses for wired and wireless clients?  I have IOT devices and a renter in my home that I would like to have separate VLANs for.  The built-in guest network can be for the infrequent visitors who need internet.

(Had the wrong model listed in the original post.  Oops!)

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't think it's supported in this kind of configuration.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/VLAN-Tagging-for-Guest-Network/m-p/1309248#M9017

I would make contact with NG support and ask them about this to see if it's supported.

@Blanca_O 

Message 4 of 5
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ssandheinrich

Orbi supports VLAN tagging for ISP. You can check this feature by going into Advanced Setup and it's listed as VLAN/Bridge Settings.

With the kind of configuration you're looking into, this is not supported. You may post your query or suggestion to this page :https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7