Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VLAN tagging for TPG NBN

mexiwi
Tutor

VLAN tagging for TPG NBN

I have just had NBN connected here in Australia through iiNet which uses the TPG FTTC service.

It uses PPPOE and  requires the WAN port to be set with a VLAN ID of 2 and priority of 0.

I have set this up but have had no luck getting the internet working. I have attached screenshots of the config.

https://imgur.com/a/EAJhrtp

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
hungrydavo
Initiate

Hey mate it took me a couple hours last night but I've worked it out. You have to upgrade the firmware on the Orbi to the latest version. I had to put my D7000 in bridge mode (modem only) and then connect my Orbi to it in AP mode. This let the Orbi connect to the internet enough to download and install the firmware. The new firmware let's you change the VLAN ID to 2 which is required for TPG HFC or similar NBN. The old firmware just made it stick to a VLAN ID of 10 no matter how many times you tried to change it. Once it was updated I just went to the Orbi, Advanced Settings and then went to the VLAN section and set the "Set VLAN by group" option for internet to VLAN ID 2. Then it worked! I'm now able to use the Orbi connected directly to the NBN. No more intermediate routers. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 10
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @mexiwi,

If you are willing to work with support on the issue please let me know and I will PM you requesting for more information. 

Best regards, 

Christian 

Message 3 of 10
mexiwi
Tutor

Hi @Christian_R

That would be great

Thanks very much

Message 4 of 10
mexiwi
Tutor

Hi, so the solution was the Orbi doesn't support VLAN tagging for the WAN port and I have had to connect the Orbi to the router in AP mode.

Although the support guy seemed somewhat fixated that the unit I was replacing was a modem/router, yet the Orbi is only a router, I'm well aware of that, the unit I am replacing is only operating as a router as it is connected to the NCD which is a VDSL modem.

So for clarity, I have 3 devices:

1x NBN NCD which is a NetComm VDSL Modem NDD-0300

1x iiNet Technicolour TG789vac V2 Gateway/Router

1x Orbi RBK50

The standard connection is:

Technicolour WAN port -> Ethernet cable --> NCD --> Phone socket 

I wanted to connect the Orbi in the same was as I had with my ADSL service (Orbi -> Bridged ADSL Modem --> phone socket) setting the PPPOE credentials in the Orbi as before.

So I had the Orbi connected as below:

Orbi Internet Port --> ethernet cable --> NCD --> phone socket.

However the NBN connection requires the PPPOE credentials to also include VLAN tagging which the Orbi apparently cannot do.

So, can VLAN tagging for the PPPOE credentials on the WAN port be included in a future firmware?

Message 5 of 10
hungrydavo
Initiate

I have the exact same issue. No ability to input the VLAN ID for PPPoE on the Orbi. Please Netgear provide this in an update. Otherwise I need to use two routers which is very messy and more prone to failure.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 10
jannico
Aspirant

Same here. On TPG NBN HFC and need the VLAN tagging to work. It works fine on the Netgear R7000 so should be doable by Netgear on the Orbi.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 7 of 10
hungrydavo
Initiate

Hey mate it took me a couple hours last night but I've worked it out. You have to upgrade the firmware on the Orbi to the latest version. I had to put my D7000 in bridge mode (modem only) and then connect my Orbi to it in AP mode. This let the Orbi connect to the internet enough to download and install the firmware. The new firmware let's you change the VLAN ID to 2 which is required for TPG HFC or similar NBN. The old firmware just made it stick to a VLAN ID of 10 no matter how many times you tried to change it. Once it was updated I just went to the Orbi, Advanced Settings and then went to the VLAN section and set the "Set VLAN by group" option for internet to VLAN ID 2. Then it worked! I'm now able to use the Orbi connected directly to the NBN. No more intermediate routers. Hope this helps!
Message 8 of 10
PJ84
Initiate

Thanks  hungrydavo,

I've been checking in reasonably frequently waiting for this to work. I've been on the most recent firmware version for a while now, but saw nothing in the release notes about the VLAN tagging being fixed, so I didn't even bother giving it a try. As I'd already had the vlan and internet connection settings already configured, all i had to do was swap from AP to Router mode to get it to work.

Now I can finally bin the Huawei piece of rubbish!

Here are some screenshots of my settings which are working for my iiNet HFC NBN connection. Hopefully they may be of assistance to others out there.

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 14.01.43.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-28 at 14.06.42.png

Message 9 of 10
jannico
Aspirant

Agreed, latest release now works with VLAN tagging on NBN TPG HFC network here in Australia.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7