Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VLAN tagging still broken in 2.0, after months of working with support I'm done.

scornwell
Apprentice

VLAN tagging still broken in 2.0, after months of working with support I'm done.

After the better part of three months, hours on the phone to support, multiple emails chasing them up for progress and dozens of attempts at getting some communication here, the end result is Netgear quite obviously haven't even attempted to address the VLAN tagging issues. It's not like they're difficult to reproduce...

When you buy Orbi you're buying sloppy engineering, hollow promises, worthless support and no communication whatsoever. If you're happy waiting three months for a fix to a crippling issue, only to get another broken firmware update, Orbi is your product. If not, look elsewhere. 

I've sold my Orbi RBK50 at a loss.

Never again.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 15
JoelM3d
Tutor

Re: VLAN tagging still broken in 2.0, after months of working with support I'm done.

Sorry it's broken for you.
My experience was the exact opposite. It worked great the first time I tried it. I'm using Centurylink gigabit internet and I needed a router with vlan tagging and pppoe that worked. I had google wifi but neither of them worked. Orbi just worked.
Message 2 of 15
scornwell
Apprentice

Are you using Orbi in AP or router mode?

And have you tried rebooting to see what happens?

I'm glad it worked for you, but either way, the support si still a joke. I still have an open ticked with netgear, they haven't responded in weeks. 

Message 3 of 15

just letting you know that the vlan tagging issue should be fixed in the next fw release

Message 4 of 15
JoelM3d
Tutor

My Orbi is set up as a router, not an AP.

I originally used my isp's modem to do VLAN tagging but when I updated my firmware to 1.12.0.18 I saw that there was VLAN tagging in the advanced settings. I unplugged my isp's modem and turned on VLAN tagging with appropriate settings (201 for Centurylink) and it just worked.

I've since rebooted a few times, installed 2.0.0.72 firmware and did a factory reset and loaded up my old settings and everything worked as expected.

No comment on support as I've yet to need it.

Isn't it a moot point anyway? You said yourself that you already moved on...

Message 5 of 15
scornwell
Apprentice

@JoelM3d wrote:

Isn't it a moot point anyway? You said yourself that you already moved on...

You were the person who continued this conversation, now you're giving me grief for responding?

What was your purpose in replying then?

Message 6 of 15
scornwell
Apprentice

@peteytesting wrote:

just letting you know that the vlan tagging issue should be fixed in the next fw release

That's great, but I was told the same thing about the last beta release and the last stable release.

Where did you hear it would be fixed?

If it really is fixed that would be great, please update here if/when it's released.

Message 7 of 15

i have tested a fw solution here and the vlan tagging is now working so am confident it will be released soon , not sure if it will be a specific release or in a combined release and not sure of time frame for release but i can say i have tested it and it works here for my wan vlan needs

Message 8 of 15
bigfellanz
Guide

@peteytesting wrote:

i have tested a fw solution here and the vlan tagging is now working so am confident it will be released soon , not sure if it will be a specific release or in a combined release and not sure of time frame for release but i can say i have tested it and it works here for my wan vlan needs

What is the version number for this firmware that has resolved your VLAN issue?

Message 9 of 15

its not public realse yet , it will be available in the next scheduled release i expect

Message 10 of 15
bigfellanz
Guide

I still have the VLAN issue on V2.1.2.10 - I can't be the only one can I?

Message 11 of 15
scornwell
Apprentice

It's not fixed. @peteytesting was talking nonsense.

Your options are get a cheap smart switch like the Netger GS105E (about $50) and put it between the Orbi and your modem to do the VLAN tagging instead, or sell your Orbi and get a WiFi router from a company who actually support their products. 

Message 12 of 15
bigfellanz
Guide

@scornwell wrote:

It's not fixed. @peteytesting was talking nonsense.

Your options are get a cheap smart switch like the Netger GS105E (about $50) and put it between the Orbi and your modem to do the VLAN tagging instead, or sell your Orbi and get a WiFi router from a company who actually support their products. 

Righto, thanks - ordering the switch now as I've invested too much time in this!

Message 13 of 15
scornwell
Apprentice

You're welcome. If you need some help configuring it ping me a message here. I don't have an Orbi any more but the process should be the same.

Message 14 of 15
Algester
Guide

I cant get it to work either. It cant be to hard for Netgear to sort this out, the tagging works fine on the R7000 but not on the Orbi. Pretty disappointing. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7