Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN, Access Point for remote access

swiftk77
Aspirant

VPN, Access Point for remote access

apologize if this question has already been asked, but I am confused by something.  When I am traveling for work, I would like to be able to VPN into my home network and then connect using the internet as if I was on my home network.  I do some freelance web development work for a few clients and they have IP restrictions enabled that prevent me from connecting to their servers when I am not on my home network.  I am often times in airports and/or hotels and would like to VPN back to my home network and then SSH on my client's servers.  Am I thinking about this correctly or is that I am asking not possible?

Thanks

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: VPN, Access Point for remote access

The question is really clear.  Let's hope someone with a lot of VPN experience notices your post.

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@swiftk77 wrote:

I am often times in airports and/or hotels and would like to VPN back to my home network and then SSH on my client's servers. 

It appears that Orbi supports OpenVPN Connect and that it can be set up to allow the user access to "only the home network" or "the internet and home network."  Seems there are different configuration files for Windows, Mac, iPad/iPhone, Android.  Have you used OpenVPN before?  Which platform will you be using?

Message 3 of 10
swiftk77
Aspirant

I have tried the OpenVPN client using my Mac, but it continues to say, “Waiting for server response” and it never connects. I am using dynamic dns and have confirmed that I can ping my dynamic dns host name and it responds with the correct IP of my router. I know this is a separate issue, but also curious if anyone has gotten OpenVPN to work with Mac OS High Sierra?

Thanks
Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, you got farther than I did.  Click on Enable VPN Service, Click on Apply.  Box pops up recommending Dynamic DNS, then nothing. Clicking on the choice of Windows, Mac, Smartphone does nothing.  Click on the Download parameter choice.  "You must Enable VPN Service and Apply."  Been there.  Done that.  When I leave the page and come back, the box is no longer checked.

Either Orbi's VPN is broken, or I am too damn dumb to turn it on.

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, I am too dumb.  Turns out when Netgear says, "You should either use a DDNS or a static IP", what that means is, "I'm not doing anything until you leave this page, go set up DDNS or Static IP, and come back."  I went through the whole process of creating the configuration file, sending it to my smart phone, loading OpenVPN Connect, etc. etc.  and..... it won't connect.

I have for sure exceeded my level of competence.

Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@swiftk77 wrote:

I am often times in airports and/or hotels and would like to VPN back to my home network and then SSH on my client's servers.  Am I thinking about this correctly or is that I am asking not possible?

YES, this can be done!  Just today, I set up a DDNS using the Free No-IP.com service.  (If I were doing it "for real", I would be inclined to pay because the free DDNS hosts expire in 30 days.)  Configured DDNS and VPN on my Orbi.  Installed OpenVPN Connect on my Android phone.  Generated the configuration file on Orbi.  Copied to my desktop.  Emailed it to my phone.  Installed it into OPenVPN Connect. etc. etc. etc. 

Finally.  Disconnected phone from WiFi to use LTE for data. Opened OpenVPN Connect, and "voila" connected to my Orbi.  Web browser works.  Have an SSH client on the phone.  Connected to my Raspberry Pi using SSH.  (very tiny characters on phone screen!)  Shoot.  I forgot to send something to the printer!  Oh, well.  Next time.

So, yes, Orbi allows the owner to create a VPN that can be accessed from "anywhere" and that user can (a) access the Internet as if they were at home, and (b) can access home resources using their local 192.168.1.x IP addresses.

Mind you, this was not all a bed of roses.  It took several tries until I got it to work.  Like, stupid me did not realize that the "Host Name" defined at No-IP.com had to include ".mynetgear.com"   I would for damn sure get the kinks ironed out before trying this from an airport somewhere.  Like, maybe set up a Hot Spot on my phone to have an LTE connection at home for testing with the Mac?

Message 7 of 10
ekhalil
Master

Yes, I have OpenVPN working great on my iPhone and iPad. I use it quite often when I'm not at home to connect to my home network and check things.

On the other hand I did not manage to get OpenVPN to work on my Macbook, I -and many others in this forum- reported certificate issues when trying it on Macs or Windows PC's.

Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

OpenVPN installed today on my Windows 10 laptop.  (Having never learned) instead of simply following the directions on the Orbi, I went off and looked for the "latest OpenVPN Connect for Windows" and had a merry time failing.  Finally, I did what Orbi said to do, and it worked first time.  Connected through my phone Hot Spot over LTE, connected to the Orbi with telnet.  Connected to my Pi with SSH.  Is this slick or what!

(There was a complain about "can you trust this certificate? and I said, "Heck yes.  Let's DO IT.")

Who knows, maybe the MacBook will work now as well.

Message 9 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

Who knows, maybe the MacBook will work now as well.

Thanks so much @CrimpOn . Yes I tried now and it worked. This is the first time that OpenVPN works in my Macbook. Seems there were improvements made in the latest Orbi software releases!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7