Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN Client - Can't Connect

modcookieparty
Aspirant

VPN Client - Can't Connect

I have been unable to connect to my work's servers through a VPN on ORBI.  If I turn off DHCP then it connects but the ORBI systems doesn't work - any ideas to fix this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@modcookieparty wrote:

I have been unable to connect to my work's servers through a VPN on ORBI.  If I turn off DHCP then it connects but the ORBI systems doesn't work - any ideas to fix this?

Perhaps you could provide more information about the situation.  Are we talking about:

• My work has servers and requires me to use VPN software to reach them.
    I have VPN software on my computer and unable to connect.
  • My work has an Orbi router and servers behind the Orbi, so I need to use a VPN to connect to the Orbi and then reach the servers.

DHCP has to be turned off on what? (my computer?  the Orbi?)

Message 3 of 7
modcookieparty
Aspirant

I have an Orbi at home and am trying to use a client VPN for connecting to my work servers.  I can connect to the VPN on my Windows laptop but can't connect to my files at work.  I turned off the DHCP setting on ORBI which allowed me through to my work drives but caused issues with every other device in the house.  Thanks for the help.

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

The computer running VPN client software is connected to the Orbi, correct?

Did you set a static IP address on the computer?

Yes, without a DHCP server somewhere on the network, every device will be unable to get an IP address and simply will not function.

Message 5 of 7
modcookieparty
Aspirant

The computer running VPN client software is connected to the Orbi, correct?  Correct.

Did you set a static IP address on the computer?  I did not.  Would this help?  Interesting thing is that I can connect to one server but not the one I need to connect to.  My IT guy says it's all on my side.

Yes, without a DHCP server somewhere on the network, every device will be unable to get an IP address and simply will not function.

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I still just cannot grasp the situation.  Which DHCP was "turned off"?

If it's the Orbi, then nothing on the network will work.

If it's the computer running VPN, then how does this computer get on the network?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7