Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN ROUTER

Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

VPN ROUTER

I would like to know how I can setup Hidden Router device on my orbi system.  When I connect it to one of the satellites. I lose internet connection.  Am I doing something wrong and can anyone help me on how to properly set this up.   

Also does it matter if i use a Cat5e or Cat6 wire for the Hidden Router device?

Thank you in advance

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Yes the change in operation will temporarily reboot the RBS so the change will take effect. 

Glad it's working now. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know for future reference.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Nyirishman1877 wrote:
I unchecked daiseychain feature and now the hidden router works. It did knock out the satellite it is hooked up to. But that was just part of the registration part and the satellite when back online

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Does other wire connected devices work behind the satellite? 

How is the satellite connected to the base Orbi? Wireless or wired? 

What FW is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

CAT6 is recommended, lowest cable should be CAT5e.

Swap lan cables for known working cables to test. 

@Nyirishman1877 wrote:

I would like to know how I can setup Hidden Router device on my orbi system.  When I connect it to one of the satellites. I lose internet connection.  Am I doing something wrong and can anyone help me on how to properly set this up.   

Thank you in advance

Message 2 of 9
Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

Yes my Roku work wired to the orbi satellite. Satellite connects wirelessly to base. FW Is 2.3. something something lol
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

So your trying to connect a VPN router to the satellite? Possible mis-configuration of this device. I would reference it's user manual to see if there is any info there. 

You may need to use the Orbi DMZ for a VPN router behind the Orbi. 

Message 4 of 9
Chuck_M
Mentor

Silly question, but is your Orbi in AP or router mode??

Message 5 of 9
Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

Router Mode

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you get any progess on this. 

@Nyirishman1877 wrote:

Thank you in advance

Message 7 of 9
Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

I unchecked daiseychain feature and now the hidden router works. It did knock out the satellite it is hooked up to. But that was just part of the registration part and the satellite when back online
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Yes the change in operation will temporarily reboot the RBS so the change will take effect. 

Glad it's working now. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know for future reference.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Nyirishman1877 wrote:

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7