Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN Router behind Orbi

Mdomke63
Aspirant

VPN Router behind Orbi

Previously I had been using Apple Express router, with a Netgear r7000 router behind it as a dedicated VPN router.  Doing this allowed me to choose which network I wanted to be on because we serve outside the USA and need a VPN as well as a local (in country) internet access point.  I've replaced the Apple Express with the Orbi mesh system.

My thoughts were that I could simply plug and play the VPN behind the new Orbi mesh system and accomplish the same thing that I had in the past.  Wrong.  It will not connect to the internet.  I've read the message boards and have already turned off the Daisy-Chain feature and it still does not work.  I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Orbi RBR50

Firmware is V2.3.5.30

Netgear R7000 (Dedicated VPN router)

Firmware DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/15/14) kongac - build 24865M

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

The R7000 and RBR share the same default IP address of 192.168.1.1, so you may want to change the R7000's default IP address to 192.168.70.1. Then see if the R7000 shows up...

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Try using the DMZ on the Orbi router for the VPN router if you are placing it behind the Orbi router. 

@Mdomke63 wrote:

Previously I had been using Apple Express router, with a Netgear r7000 router behind it as a dedicated VPN router.  Doing this allowed me to choose which network I wanted to be on because we serve outside the USA and need a VPN as well as a local (in country) internet access point.  I've replaced the Apple Express with the Orbi mesh system.

My thoughts were that I could simply plug and play the VPN behind the new Orbi mesh system and accomplish the same thing that I had in the past.  Wrong.  It will not connect to the internet.  I've read the message boards and have already turned off the Daisy-Chain feature and it still does not work.  I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Orbi RBR50

Firmware is V2.3.5.30

Message 2 of 8
Mdomke63
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to help me.  I don't have a lot of experience in this field, so you may have to coach me a bit more.  The only location that I can find DMZ is under Advanced/Setup/WAN Setup/Default DMZ Server via the web login and it appears that I need to enter the ip address.  Not exactly sure what to do here.  My Netgear R7000 receives a signal from the Orbi via cat5 cable.

ISP Modem is a Picotel Epon ONU, Model PU-E810

My Setup is as follows:

Picotel ISP Modem>Orbi RBR50>NG R7000 (Dedicated VPN).  Both of these Wifi's would be working and I would simply select which Wifi system that I wanted to be connect to.

I have an excellent signal and speed with my Orbi, but can get no internet signal with my NG R7000.

Firmware is as follows:

Orbi RBR50

Firmware is V2.3.5.30

Thanks again!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The IP address needed for the Orbi DMZ is the IP address that is given to the VPN device from the Orbi RBR, in your case the R7000. Look on the Orbis connected clients list to see where the R7000 shows up and the IP address its given will be listed here. I would set a IP address reservation for the R7000 so the address doesn't change on you. 

Message 4 of 8
Mdomke63
Aspirant

Maybe we discovered the problem.  My NG R7000 does not show up on the connected device list.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The R7000 and RBR share the same default IP address of 192.168.1.1, so you may want to change the R7000's default IP address to 192.168.70.1. Then see if the R7000 shows up...

Message 6 of 8
Mdomke63
Aspirant

SUCCESS!  When we changed the default IP on the R7000 it was able to connect to the internet!  Thanks a ton!

Can't thank you enough.  I had spent several days trying to figure it out and you did it in a few simple messages.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome, Glad it's working now. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Mdomke63 wrote:

SUCCESS!  When we changed the default IP on the R7000 it was able to connect to the internet!  Thanks a ton!

Can't thank you enough.  I had spent several days trying to figure it out and you did it in a few simple messages.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7