Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN compatibility with Orbi AC2200;RBK20W

LaSabana
Aspirant

VPN compatibility with Orbi AC2200;RBK20W

• Firmware: v2.3.5.26
  • OS; MS Window 10 V1909

I am looking to install EXPRESS VPN; i see that there is some dialogue on this site regarding compatibility with VPN however, nothing specific.Can anyone who has had some experience with EXPRESS VPN share their experience in setting up this VPN on a Orbi mesh system? Thank you

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Express VPN says that you can install the product on up to five devices at the same time.

https://www.expressvpn.com/features/how-many-devices-can-i-connect 

I take this to mean any combination of laptops, desktops, smart phones, tablets, XBoxes, Roku's, etc.  As long as there are no more than five running at any one time.  This may be exactly what you want.  So, "What's to lose?"  They offer a 30-day trial.  If you hate it, then quit.

Installing VPN Client software on a router means that every device connected to the router uses the VPN (which could be dozens.  some Orbi users report over 50 devices connected).  As far as I know, there is NO VPN Client software that can be installed on the Orbi product line.  (There IS custom firmware for the Orbi RBR50 that includes VPN Client, but that's a whole different adventure.)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

If would help if you clarify HOW you want to install Express VPN

• On a Windows computer - which should work, "no problem"
  • On the Orbi router - which will NOT work - "no way, sorry."
Message 2 of 6
LaSabana
Aspirant

Thanks CrimpOn; i am not sure if i understand the distinction in this case. My currrent configuration is Xfinity(ISP provider) to my Arris modem to my ORBI router; my laptop, cell etc under this orbi. I was planning to download the VPN via the Express website. Am i on the right track responding to your question?

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes.  The distinction is which device the Express VPN will be installed on.

• The laptop.  Sure.  The laptop will then be able to use Express VPN to do anything on the internet with its identity and location masked by the VPN. (browse the web.  do email.  download files.  etc.)
  • The router itself, which would mean that every device in the house will use the VPN.  NO WAY.  Express VPN can be installed on some brands of router, but NOT ORBI.
Message 4 of 6
LaSabana
Aspirant

Ok Great thanks CrimpOn for this clarification much appreciated. So, it appears that this particular VPN would not be a good fit if, i wanted the other devices on this VPN. In fact, this feature of protecting up to 5 devices was what i was most intrqued with, Can you recommend a VPN that would be more compatible? Thanks again

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Express VPN says that you can install the product on up to five devices at the same time.

https://www.expressvpn.com/features/how-many-devices-can-i-connect 

I take this to mean any combination of laptops, desktops, smart phones, tablets, XBoxes, Roku's, etc.  As long as there are no more than five running at any one time.  This may be exactly what you want.  So, "What's to lose?"  They offer a 30-day trial.  If you hate it, then quit.

Installing VPN Client software on a router means that every device connected to the router uses the VPN (which could be dozens.  some Orbi users report over 50 devices connected).  As far as I know, there is NO VPN Client software that can be installed on the Orbi product line.  (There IS custom firmware for the Orbi RBR50 that includes VPN Client, but that's a whole different adventure.)

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7