Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN connection issues

jclark0108
Star

VPN connection issues

I have a RBR40 Orbi router.  I am having issus connecting to my employers VPN.  I dont this the issue is the modem becuase I can access the vpn when connected directly to the modem.  Going through Orbi - no connection.  Any idea how to fix this (in very simepl terms)?  Have tried power cycling it and the modem.  

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: VPN connection issues

Using VPNs has become the thing nowdays. Since the VPN connection originates with the user device, the Orbi should have no effect on it.

Perhaps it would be useful to know some things:

• Which type of VPN is this? (brand, such as Cisco xxx or...???)
    (Not your company or anything like that.)
  • Do you access the VPN by an IP address or by a Dynamic DNS name?
  • What specific Spectrum modem is the Orbi connected to?
    If this device is a router (and the Orbi is also a router), there might be some crazy way that a Double NAT interferes with this particular VPN.
  • How does access to Remote Desktop work? (I am assuming this gets you to your personal desktop computer in the office).
    Is it by some type of 'name' or by IP address?
    The Orbi default LAN IP subnet is 192.168.1.1.  If the company LAN uses the same subnet, your home computer could be confused between the local LAN and the remote LAN.
    Would help if you could remember what IP subnet the eero Pro used for the local LAN.

Frankly, I am discouraged that so many people have viewed the two posts and not commented.  Nothing seems to be leaping out.

Message 2 of 3
Eric_63
Aspirant

Re: VPN connection issues

Common VPN connection problems. Check the firewall. Check if the VPN is compatible with site or service. Try utilising a different VPN Protocol. Get help from the help feature. Try the OpenVPN protocol. Regularly update the VPN. Restart your VPN software.

Model: Dual Band
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7