Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN issues

jclark0108
Star

VPN issues

I bought the Orbi (actually a RBR40 and RBW30 satalite) a month ago.  I have a VPN through work.  Wokred great until yesterday.  I can connect to the VPN - but can not connect to the remote desktop once connected to the VPN.  I am not a techy person - but am hoping this is a simple fix.  Can anyone give me any ideas?  I have reset the router& modem.  Did not help.  As far as I know, no settings have changed on my laptop.  Would it be my internet provider (WOW internet)?  Strange it worked great untl yesterday.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: VPN issues

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

What FW is currently loaded?

Might review this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-VPN-issues/m-p/1499408#M22851

Message 2 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@jclark0108 wrote:

I bought the Orbi (actually a RBR40 and RBW30 satalite) a month ago.  I have a VPN through work.  Wokred great until yesterday.  I can connect to the VPN - but can not connect to the remote desktop once connected to the VPN.  I am not a techy person - but am hoping this is a simple fix.  Can anyone give me any ideas?  I have reset the router& modem.  Did not help.  As far as I know, no settings have changed on my laptop.  Would it be my internet provider (WOW internet)?  Strange it worked great untl yesterday.

Do you mean that you can't connect to your work VPN from your laptop which is attached to Orbi?

If this is the case then it can be something in your laptop or the destination VPN server or remote desktop. The only thing I can think of to be wrong in your internet are:

- Firewall settings in Orbi, but since you're sure you did not change anything in Orbi then this is not it

- IP forwarding issue caused by conflict between your ISP modem/router nd Orbi. Is your Orbi set in AP or Router Mode? Is your ISP modem/router bridged?

Message 3 of 8
jclark0108
Star

Modem is a TP-Link model TC-7610

Message 4 of 8
jclark0108
Star

Sorry - firmware is:

Router Firmware Version
V1.8.0.4
Message 5 of 8
jclark0108
Star

I can connect to the VPN - but not to the remote destop. I can do everything while connected to the VPN (email, internet, etc.) but connect to the remote desktop.  If I use my phone as a hotspot or got somewhere else with wifi - I am able to get acces to remote desktop through the VPN.

Message 6 of 8
jclark0108
Star

My modem is a TP-Link 7610.  Router is an Orbi....

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume the poster is a spammer since his link is to a linked off 3rd party site. And doesn't know the different model model types. 

Click at your own risk. 

Can you connect your PC directly to the ISP modem and test the VPN connection? Does it work here? 

@jclark0108 wrote:

My modem is a TP-Link 7610.  Router is an Orbi....

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7