Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN on RBR20 does not work

AliPAI
Aspirant

VPN on RBR20 does not work

I am trying to set up a VPN server so I can remotely access devices on my local network. My router is a Netgear Orbi RBR20, which has VPN capabilities. In order to use the VPN capabilities, I created a Dynamic DNS for the router (using noip.com), which seems to be working properly.

When I enable the VPN service though, the internet connection usually goes down. The VPN client (Tunnelblick) also never manages to connect to the VPN server, and keeps waiting for incoming packets from the server. I use the default settings (TUN: UDP/12973 TAP:UDP/12974), and followed the instructions for setting up the VPN client.

I am wondering if someone has experience with setting up a VPN server with on this particular make and model and can share whether they have experienced the same behavior and if they know any solutions to it.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: VPN on RBR20 does not work

Wow.  Just clicking "Apply" on the VPN web page causes your internet to go down?

Can you please describe how you are testing the VPN?  My practice was to disable WiFi on my phone so it would switch to LTE, then create a WiFi hot spot with my phone.  Connected my laptop to the hotspot and then activated the VPN software on the laptop.  Worked with Windows, Linux, and Android. (Don't have any Apple devices to test.)

Message 2 of 4
AliPAI
Aspirant

There are multiple networks in the building. I connect to another network and use that to test the VPN on my laptop.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Having ready access to another WiFi network would have made my task a lot easier.  Alas, I have zero experience with Macs (Tunnleblick). We have a number of forum members who live in the "Apple World".  If none of them comments on this topic, you might have to create a new post with VPN and "Mac Client" in the title.

About the first question:  Click "Apply" on the VPN page and the internet connection goes down?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7