Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Verizon FIOS Gigabit ONT pairing at 100Mpbs

EPF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Verizon FIOS Gigabit ONT pairing at 100Mpbs

Recently upgraded FIOS to Gigabyte service. The stats on the router show the WLAN connection at "100Mbps/full", and the other LAN ports that are connected at "1000Mbps/full". RBR50 is connected directly to the ONT via ethernet cable (no Verizon modem/router). This is the same setup I had before except that the ONT was upgraded and the service is supposed to be faster. I previously had 200Mbps service but never verified that it was working correctly, since it wasn't on a > 100Mbps service for very long.

Various speed tests clock in at < 100Mbps.

Thoughts? Cable (worked ok before), firmware (V2.5.1.16)?, ...

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
EPF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Verizon FIOS Gigabit ONT pairing at 100Mpbs

Problem resolved by the light of a new day. I had a 100Mbps switch between the ONT and the router (needed it to split the line for an IP phone for work).

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
EPF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry, meant to type "Gigabit".

Message 2 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

When you upgraded, did they install a new ONT? What wired speed do you get when you connect to the ONT? I suggest changing the network cable that is connecting the ONT to the RBR50 and rebooting the ONT to see if it corrects itself. 

Message 3 of 6
EPF
Aspirant
Aspirant

"When you upgraded, did they install a new ONT? What wired speed do you get when you connect to the ONT? I suggest changing the network cable that is connecting the ONT to the RBR50 and rebooting the ONT to see if it corrects itself."

1. He said he had to change a board, but not the whole unit. Since I'm high risk for COVID, I was not in the same room.

2. I haven't found a place to plug an ethernet cable directly inside the box, but I'll try that tomorrow with better light.

3. The cable currently serving as the connection is a very, very long one running outside the house from front to back and up a floor. I'm hoping that's not the issue, though I have my suspicions. Guess I can look into a different arrangement if #2 is working. But the phone connection is running the same route due to limited wiring in the old house.

4. Thinking I'll try rebooting the ONT independently as well. Is that a "power boot" on these or is there some kind of a reset button?

Thanks. That gives me a few things to try!

Message 4 of 6
EPF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Problem resolved by the light of a new day. I had a 100Mbps switch between the ONT and the router (needed it to split the line for an IP phone for work).

Message 5 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@EPF wrote:

YAY!!!

Yes those little things always bit us in the "" 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7