Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Verizon Fios Gigabit Speed and Orbi RBR50 ISSUES????

BartKnowsit
Tutor

Verizon Fios Gigabit Speed and Orbi RBR50 ISSUES????

I have Verizon Fios for internet.  Usuing an Orbi RBR50 with a base and 2 satelites.   The base is connected directly to my Verizon Fios modem.  Had 100mbps speed.  Worked well.   Upgraded to a Smart TV.  Samsung Q8 which streams in 4k.  So began noticing that when my son is on xbox in basement online gaming, and I am using the new TV, started getting lagging issues.  Assumed due to bandwidth being used.  Ran a couple speedtests and notices low speeds like 15mbps and lower....   assumed to TV use of bandwidth.   TV is running on the Orbi via wireless connection.  I have no way to hardwire it in it's location or I would.   So for a reasonable price Verizon upgraded me to a Gigabit service which is about 940mbps.   

My issue is that I am only getting speeds through my Orbi system at about 150, occasionally it might hit 200.  I know that due to device limitations etc, I won't get the full gig but I would expect to see at least 300-400 maybe???    Especially for the TV connection, which for some reason also only wants to connect to the 2.4G band on the orbi instead of the 5G.  2.4 should be fine cause it can run several hundred mbps from what I have read.  

Any know how I need to tweak my Orbi system, Fios and TV to get faster speeds????

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 16
tsig
Luminary

4k wifi is a tough one, I would bet that your tv cannot maintain the connection speed.  You can set up a guest 5ghz only network to test the tv though.

Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using on the Orbi system?

What is the Mfr and model of the Modem/ONT for Verizon?

How are you speed testing? Wired speed test with a PC and web browser connected to a speedtest site is preferred. Wireless has many variables that give inaccurate results.

How are the satellites placed from the router? Distance between?

How big is your home? Sq Ft?

I recommend LAN cable connect xbox for online gaming is preferred.

@BartKnowsit wrote:

I have Verizon Fios for internet.  Usuing an Orbi RBR50 with a base and 2 satelites.   The base is connected directly to my Verizon Fios modem.  Had 100mbps speed.  Worked well.   Upgraded to a Smart TV.  Samsung Q8 which streams in 4k.  So began noticing that when my son is on xbox in basement online gaming, and I am using the new TV, started getting lagging issues.  Assumed due to bandwidth being used.  Ran a couple speedtests and notices low speeds like 15mbps and lower....   assumed to TV use of bandwidth.   TV is running on the Orbi via wireless connection.  I have no way to hardwire it in it's location or I would.   So for a reasonable price Verizon upgraded me to a Gigabit service which is about 940mbps.   

My issue is that I am only getting speeds through my Orbi system at about 150, occasionally it might hit 200.  I know that due to device limitations etc, I won't get the full gig but I would expect to see at least 300-400 maybe???    Especially for the TV connection, which for some reason also only wants to connect to the 2.4G band on the orbi instead of the 5G.  2.4 should be fine cause it can run several hundred mbps from what I have read.  

Any know how I need to tweak my Orbi system, Fios and TV to get faster speeds????

Message 3 of 16
BartKnowsit
Tutor

My firmware is the latest and greatest.  Just checked it yesterday.  it is 12. something. I ran the update and it was the latest.  

I'll have to get details on the Fios Modem although I would have expected them to tell me I needed a newer one if the current one wouldn't handle the gigabit.. but with them I should never assume anything.. LOL... 

My Orbi RBR50 base is connected to the modem through the supplied Ethernet cable and sits on top of the verizon box in my basement.  The 1st satelite sits almost directly above that base on the 1st floor of my house.  Maybe 10 feet above through a wood floor.  The 2nd satelite is located on the 2nd floor about 25-30 feet away from the 2nd satelite. Almost directly above it.  All three keep full bars of strength all the time.  my house is about 3,500 square feet.  I get great coverage.  Matter of fact I have an Arlo video camera system with a wireless camera in a tree in my front yard about 150 feet from my house and it still gets 2-3 bars of wifi strength.  Same for a couple other outside cameras on the house.  

I just ordered 2 Cat 7 LAN cables on amazon.  I will run one from my Orbi router directly to my son's xbox for gaming.  The 2nd one I will run to the new Samsung Q8 TV.  This will hard wire them both to the router.  Then I should see increased speeds on them, correct???

The rest of the wifi running at 100-300 fluctuating is more than enough for all the other devices...   cause even my 100/100 was enough until we put in the new TV...   

Thoughts????

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you confirm that your using v2.1.3.4 FW? 

What is the Mfr and model of the Modem/ONT for Verizon?

I recommend NOT putting the Orbi router on top of any other electronic devices, this would include the FIOS modem. This could cause interferences. Keep 3 feet between devices. 

Recommend 30-40 feet distance between router and satellite minumum. As the router alone can cover up to about 30 feet. YOu don't want any over lapping wireless signals between the router and satellite. You might reduce the Satelllite count by one and test. I have a 5000sq ft home and have the router and 1 satellite. Great coverage and range. 40 ft distance in between. 

Message 5 of 16
BartKnowsit
Tutor

My firmware is V2.1.2.18  and when I go to "Admin" it shows that my router and 2 satelites have the newest one and I checked it a couple times by clicking the "update".  I assume there is one that I will have to manually load??

The modem is a Verizon Fios. ONT I-211M-K . that is the only manufacturers name and model on it.  Made in May 2013. 

Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you have the 50 series, go over to NG support site and you can manuall download the v2.1.3.4 files and update the system youself. NG hasn't set this version to auto update as of yet. However is available for manual download. 

Update the satellite first then router, then factory reset all then setup from scratch. 

Message 7 of 16
ubtchanova
Aspirant

If I download a firmware update from NG instead of waiting forever for Verizon to provide an update for the ORBI system I just I purchased through them, will I harm my system or it's functionality? I can't use the Netgear "Circle with Disney" parental control app because it says I need to update my firmware.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 8 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you have the verizon specific Orbi you will need to get all firmware from verizon the standard firmware will not work on this.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 16
scopert
Aspirant

I just installed my Orbi AC3000 / RBK50 on FIOS as well and I am not getting the expected speeds either. 

I have Fios Gigabit (1 Gig) and I am 3 feet from the Orbi router and getting 300-500 Down and only 120 up when I use the Orbi phone app and about 250MB up/down when I use speedtest.net tool on my PC (WiFi).

I disabled Verizon Fios WiFi as instructed and have my Orbi router connected to the Fios router and 1 Sattelite that glows blue on another level of the house. I feel like something is wrong with the set-up or there is some type of interference, but cannot diagnose. Anyone know of any tools out there to properly troubleshoot? 

Message 10 of 16
tsig
Luminary

Orbi in AP mode?

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory ERASE the orbi router and set up from scratch with the ONT. This time, don't enable or select the QoS speed test app, Traffic Meter or Access Controls. These seem to slow the speed down on 1Gb ISP services from what others have mentioned. Be sure to speed test with a wired PC. Wireless will not show 900Mb speeds.

@scopert wrote:

I just installed my Orbi AC3000 / RBK50 on FIOS as well and I am not getting the expected speeds either. 

I have Fios Gigabit (1 Gig) and I am 3 feet from the Orbi router and getting 300-500 Down and only 120 up when I use the Orbi phone app and about 250MB up/down when I use speedtest.net tool on my PC (WiFi).

I disabled Verizon Fios WiFi as instructed and have my Orbi router connected to the Fios router and 1 Sattelite that glows blue on another level of the house. I feel like something is wrong with the set-up or there is some type of interference, but cannot diagnose. Anyone know of any tools out there to properly troubleshoot? 

Message 12 of 16
scopert
Aspirant

ROUTER and 1 Sattelite.
Message 13 of 16
waynealight
Apprentice

a single wifi connection max speed is 433 mb/s.  seeing 250-300 speed test is completely normal.  you will never see full 1gb/s unless your wired.  best case is a 2x2 connection on the orbi you may see 600 mb/s.

Message 14 of 16
scopert
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. What is a 2X2 connection?

Message 15 of 16
waynealight
Apprentice

2 send and receive connections. Google 2x2 WiFi ,3x3 WiFi, mimo. You will better understand what all the numbers really mean, what’s advertising bs and real world expectations
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7