Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Verizon orbi rbk50

tony12257
Aspirant

Verizon orbi rbk50

Ok I have the orbi rbk50 from Verizon is there a way to flash netgear stock firmware?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Verizon orbi rbk50

By my count, you are at least the third person to ask this question, and the answer is always, "no".  Netgear and Verizon did something to the firmware which prevents putting anything but Verizon firmware on it.  Bummer.

Message 2 of 7

As @CrimpOn says, this seems to be as designed.

There may be a hacker out there somewhere who has worked out how to Telnet into the router and to change it. This seems to be easier on Netgear's non-Orbi kit, but you never know.

Message 3 of 7
tony12257
Aspirant

I was thinking about using the tftp server
Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

One user reported trying to tftp Netgear firmware to an Orbi router and said it "bricked" the router.

If it is working now and you brick it, then (a) you have no internet, and (b) Verizon may figure it out and refuse warranty coverage.

It is indeed frustrating that products sold through suppliers do not get the same update attention as products "sold direct."  Cell phones are a good example.  Phone company updates always lag behind manufacturer's updates (or never come at all).

Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CrimpOn wrote:

One user reported trying to tftp Netgear firmware to an Orbi router and said it "bricked" the router.

If it is working now and you brick it, then (a) you have no internet, and (b) Verizon may figure it out and refuse warranty coverage.

It is indeed frustrating that products sold through suppliers do not get the same update attention as products "sold direct."  Cell phones are a good example.  Phone company updates always lag behind manufacturer's updates (or never come at all).

Another reason to stay away fromm Verizon internet

Message 6 of 7
tony12257
Aspirant

Thanks for that information
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation