Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Verizon vs Comcast connecting to ORBI

jp4120
Guide

Verizon vs Comcast connecting to ORBI

purchased from Amazon as RBK33 (base and 2 satellites) but manual refers to it as a RBR40

my satellites are RBW30 - each are currently $142 on Amazon - but they sell the base router and 2 satellites for $290 less $30 coupon.

I am currently using Comcast 1gb service with a  Comcast modem/router with the router bypassed - all is working pretty well.

trying to drastically reduce all my high ($270 per month) comcast price gouging bills

dropped all tv - comcast internet only 1gb for $105/mth plus youtube tv for another $50/mth - total $155/mth

however verizon will do the same speed for $80/mth - along with youtube tv it would total $130/mth

Has anyone switched to Verizon?  Verizon customer service tells me since i am only getting internet - there is no need for a modem - only an ethernet cable from the OMT box will plug directly into ORBI system.  

i would think i would want a modem or a splitter or something since i would want to hard wire my desktop PC since that sits right next to main ORBI box.

anyone have any feedback on this situation? 

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Good it's all working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Some ISPs have specific HW requirements for getting internet to customers. Verizon mostly use ONTs to convert there services from fiber optic to LAN cable RJ45 that Orbi needs to communicate with ISP services. Verizon doesn't use cable modems or any modems on there service. So connecting up the Orbi to the ONT would all that would be needed. 

Message 2 of 12
jp4120
Guide

i may just stay with Comcast and not switch to Verizon.

Any recommendations s on best modem to purchase for 1gb service if i stay with comcast ?- i am renting a Technicolor from Comcast but thinking i should buy one and save $14 per month/$168 year.

I would want to keep the ability to hard wire a desktop PC into the modem - while connecting Orbi to another connecton. 

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

See if CC supports NG's CM1100. I love mine on a 1G service. And you can connect two routers behind it. Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 12
jp4120
Guide

how about the NG CM1000?  speeds up to 1GB - current price on Amazon is $163.99

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@jp4120 wrote:

i may just stay with Comcast and not switch to Verizon.

I would want to keep the ability to hard wire a desktop PC into the modem - while connecting Orbi to another connecton. 

The RBR40 has three ethernet jacks on the back which the PC can be wired into.  Is there a specific reason this is not acceptable?

Message 6 of 12
jp4120
Guide

i didn't want verizon to have to run wires thru my house just to avoid the hassle that an ISP tech brings........i got a loyalty discount of $15 from Comcast when i threatened to switch to Verizion so if i purchase a modem my final bill from Comcast would be $90/mth for 1gb service......if they remove the loyalty discount after a year i will reconsider jumping to Verizon.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The CM1000 works as well. Just make sure the ISP supports it officially. 

@jp4120 wrote:

how about the NG CM1000?  speeds up to 1GB - current price on Amazon is $163.99

Message 8 of 12
jp4120
Guide

Actually on sale today on AMZ  for $135 so i ordered one, will let everyone know ease of setup, comparative performance.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. 

Message 10 of 12
jp4120
Guide

finally switched out my rental modem for an NG CM1000 purchased via Amazon.

took about 30 minutes of back and forth, tried it on my own but had to call dreaded Comcast customer service.

steps i took.

1-connect power and coax to modem - turn on - wait 5 minutes for all to turn green

2-connected the modem to the PC via ethernet cable - follow prompts wouldn't connect - had to call Comcast and they entered the modem MAC address and the PC was able to connect.

3, then disconnected the PC and connected the modem to ORBI, then connected the PC to ORBI.   - wouldn't connect at first had to power cycle everything 2x to get the handshakes working correctly

4 all working now - returning my modem later today via UPS 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Good it's all working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7